Saxophone Forum

by jcaoile03
(1 post)
14 years ago

yamaha or selmer?

my dad is looking into buying me a Selmer SAS280 La Voix II Alto Saxophone or a Yamaha YAS-62II Series Professional Alto Saxophone. I really prefer the Selmer but I do not know which to buy because they both sound pretty good. can you guys help me?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SuperSax875
    (55 posts)

14 years ago

Re: yamaha or selmer?

That model Yamaha is much better than that Selmer. If those are your choices, go with the Yamaha.

Reply To Post

1. by EpicSaxMan
      (3 posts)

7 years ago

That is more of an opinion and I have to disagree with you.

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

14 years ago

Supersax is right. My personl instruments are Selmers. A Mark Vl Alto and a Mark Vl Tenor. I have played the Yamaha 62ll and find it a great horn. The Yamaha 62ll is a bottom line pro horn. The model Selmer you mentioned is a student line horn... Selmer makes great professional horns but they are overpriced! Their student line horns are also overpriced and not that good.............Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

14 years ago

Supersax is right. My personl instruments are Selmers. A Mark Vl Alto and a Mark Vl Tenor. I have played the Yamaha 62ll and find it a great horn. The Yamaha 62ll is a bottom line pro horn. The model Selmer you mentioned is a student line horn... Selmer makes great professional horns but they are overpriced! Their student line horns are also overpriced and not that good.............Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by cuber
        (653 posts)

14 years ago

get the yamaha kelsey.... if you find a used reference, you can get it for considerably less, and because theyre not that old, itll probably be in good condition. Personally the only yamaha I would take over my 475 is an 875, and my ref54 can blow it out of the water. Best overall horn for me is a ref54, but the 875 is more bang for the buck.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

14 years ago

Cuber, I think I will try a 475. I've heard from you, and from others, that it's a good horn. I have also heard that the 475 is a 62 without ingraving. Is this right?? I have only played the 62ll tenor and a 82Z alto and I liked them both a lot. But not as much as my Mark Vls!! The Vls I've had most of my life and I guess you like what you play...Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by cuber
          (653 posts)

14 years ago

Try several 475s. Ive heard that some are better than others. Basically, the only difference between a 475 and 62 supposedly is the tube. They solder tubes from different horns together on 475's instead of the solid tube of a 62 Keywork is the same. Actually, now that I think about it, I cant remember if the keywork comes from a 62 or 82. When I tried to play 62s and 82s, I found them very stuffy compared to my 475, and couldnt imagine paying $5 for one of them, nevermind $1000 +

Reply To Post

2. by EpicSaxMan
        (3 posts)

7 years ago

I disagree. I think that Selmer is a superior sax company and makes the best saxophones. Each instrument is hand made and unique which makes them great but harder to pick out because two instruments of the same model can play like day and night. You need to play the horn before you buy it. Yamaha on the other hand is more consistent and instruments of the same model play relatively the same. I would recommend Selmer although if you find a Yamaha that you really like go for it. Everyone is different and you need to find the perfect sax for you.

Reply To Post

4. by EpicSaxMan
      (3 posts)

7 years ago

I would recommend Selmer becuase they seem to make the best quality saxophones. Although it is important to play the instrument before you buy it because Selmer instruments are hand made which makes every one of them unique. Instruments of the same model can play like day and night. Yamaha on the other hand is more consistent and instruments of the same model play relatively the same. But if you find a Yamaha that you like go for it. Everyone is different and it is about finding the perfect sax for you.

Reply To Post