Saxophone Forum

by lelandgray
(2 posts)
14 years ago

How much is my Selmer worth?

I have a Selmer USA saxophone. I believe its an AS200, based on some pictures I found on the internet. The serial number is 1187949. It's on the body, on the back side under the thumb rest. The only other markings are on the bell, it says 'Selmer USA' and there is a a guard on the other side with some stamped "script" work, if that's what you call it. I got it around 1996 when I played in marching and jazz band in high school, and played it one year in college and haven't touched it since. It is in great condition, it looks brand new with only a few scratches here and there. None of the laquer is peeling. I have the original case as well as a soft-sided case. Any idea how much it's worth? I'm looking to sell it, since I'm not really planning on playing again any time soon. Thanks in advance!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxsoon
    (6 posts)

14 years ago

Re: How much is my Selmer worth?

Search of all the AS200s on Ebay and bookmark them, then go back after the auctions close to see what people are paying for them. You can look on Craig's List but you will only see the asking price, not the final sale amount.

Reply To Post

2. by Mark Steven Cohen
    (2 posts)

14 years ago

I have one of similar vintage (based on serial numbers). Did you even find a satisfying answer to the value of your horn?

Reply To Post

1. by lelandgray
      (2 posts)

14 years ago

Not really. I found one person selling one on eBay for $999, but with no bids yet. I found another selling on eBay for around $300. I made a local craigslist posting for my sax, asking $1200 or best offer. The only response I had was a jerk telling me my price was about $1000 too high.

Reply To Post

1. by Mark Steven Cohen
        (2 posts)

14 years ago

I did see that one with a similar serial number sold in Singapore for about $750 US. These do appear to be much less desirable than the Mark VI series from France.

Reply To Post