Saxophone Forum

by kbanihilator
(1 post)
14 years ago

Converting trumpet player

I've played trumpet for about ten years and I've been wanting to pick up a tenor for a few years now and I'm finally taking the step. I've found a couple on eBay, but I'm just wondering how trustworthy buying through ebay can be as well as pros and cons of the horns I've found. cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=160451539372&Category=16234&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2#ht_775wt_913 cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-King-Zephyr-Tenor-BB-Saxophone-with-Case_W0QQitemZ250659009513QQcategoryZ16234QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m8QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DMW%26its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7374223920698394017#ht_956wt_1139 Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by payaso
    (1 post)

14 years ago

Re: Converting trumpet player

You are new to sax so why spend a lot of $. Get a Bundy and have it fixed.

Reply To Post

1. by luiyo456
      (18 posts)

14 years ago

Buying a vintage sax on ebay has some pro's, lower price, and a possible good sound instrument, con, probably will need some adjustment that might increased the final price, missed or over looked blemishes on the instrument that might affect the sound, on the other hand your experience as a sax player might discourage you as some vintage sax are not easy to blow or hard to find the perfect setting that might be suitable to you, my advice: get a friend to test a sax according to your budget before you do a big investment and that might give u a better advised.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
        (653 posts)

14 years ago

Personally, I would advise against those two horns, especially for a beginner. (i know you arent a true beginner, but your embrochure will take time to get accustom to it) Vintage horns are quite finicky at times, and these, at a glance, seem to be from a time that I would rather avoid. A previous poster said to get a bundy- also a mistake. I would buy a Yamaha 23 (YTS-23) used, they can easily be found for under $1000, and after a quick ebay search, I found one for $300. cgi.ebay.com/Used-Fully-Functional-Yamaha-YTS-23-Tenor-Saxophone-/260629991318?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3caec20f96 (though now that i look at it, the guy hasnt sold anything. just look around, wont be too hard to find something) Though if you do wind up buying a horn from ebay, take it to a tech. At such a low price, theres plenty of $ for small repairs and the horn is still affordable.

Reply To Post

1. by Mobile Band
          (27 posts)

14 years ago

Sax MPC for Trumpet

www.doctorsax.biz/EddieHarris_ReedTrumpetMpc.htm Maybe a good way to start with, learning the embochure mobile walking Jazzband Berlin

Reply To Post

2. by Mobile Band
          (27 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Sax MPC for Trumpet

Now the link should work: mobile Jazzband Berlin mobile marching band

Reply To Post

3. by Mobile Band
          (27 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Sax MPC for Trumpet

Sorry, this went wrong. Out of any reasons the link, besides my wrong anchor does not lead always to the right part of the website. Therefore click on Mouthpieces (in the menue on top), scroll down and click the last picture "Reed trumpet" sax mpc for trumpet

Reply To Post