Saxophone Forum

by jazzcat522
(21 posts)
14 years ago

Narrowing my choices to the right mp for tenor

Alright guys i have been using a meyer(the new kind) size 7(seems to be tip opening 88) for my tenor I recently played some parts in a recording and thought I would probably want try another mp. I was looking into a jody jazz HR 7*(tip opening 105), Jody jazz dv ny 7*( tip opening 105),jody jazz esp 7*( tip opening 105), or a MBll Guardala(don’t know the tip opening), Guardala studio(tip opening 115), or Guardala Crescent(tip opening 110) . I want my tenor to sound like a tenor and not like an alto. There are times when I listen to tenor players in recording that have recorded with a metal piece and they sound very close to an alto. I guess the type of sound im going for here is a stax record kind of sound or like Al green’s horn section (soul music) Example: www.youtube.com/watch?v=COiIC3A0ROM Another problem I have is that I play with a metal piece on my alto so the transition to a tenor feels drastic to me this is why I am considering a metal piece for tenor. So to you mature tenor players should that be a concern or just get used to it. Any input/suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks! Jazzcat

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Narrowing my choices to the right mp for tenor

Since you live in Texas, you might try for that Texas Tenor Sound!! A Guardala King might be the thing??
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by SuperSax875
      (55 posts)

14 years ago

That alto-y sound is up to you, not the mouthpiece. If you play with a fat air-stream you'll get the fat sound you want. The mouthpiece is only going to help you along. You'll probably get a fatter sound on one of the Guardala's, though.

Reply To Post

1. by jazzcat522
        (21 posts)

14 years ago

You what Kelsey that thought actually went through my mind trying to do the texas tenor sound since I hear the guardala king is modeled after King Curtis, I was considering trying that option since I am from Texas!=D And supersax ill keep that in mind your not the first that has told me that since I am primarily an alto player I unconscious try to blow the same amount of air through a tenor after a few notes I have to remind myself to blow more air Thanks guys!

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

14 years ago

so, what kind of pieces did those texas tenor cats use, anyway? lots of them used otto link metal pieces..check out their videos..might be something worth thinking about...or not.

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

14 years ago

I suggested the Guardala King because it's supposed to help you get that King Curtis sound. Curtis was a Fort Worth Texas tenor player who I always think of as having the most Texas Tenor sound out there. I also play a Guardala King mouthpiece and my tenor sound has been discribed as a Texas sound. Being from North Texas may have done that to me???...Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM