Saxophone Forum

by Lady Royale
(2 posts)
14 years ago

Likes and Dislikes of a Brand Tenor saxophone

so i didn't say it in the subject but i recently bought a DC Pro Saturn series black laquare (pardon my spelling peoples XD) gold keys tenor saxophone. now i want to know what people don't like and what people do like about this brand of saxophones. i've read a few discussions about this horn but i don't have solid facts its all nonspecific on why they either like or dislike this brand of saxophones. so i want real answers not a bunch of spewing out this is bad. i want to know how you like the responce this gives, the altissimo, projection, the weight, (yes) the look, the build. any other things you happen to like. i want something solid. so the question is why do you like this brand? (or) why do you dilkike? with great details. and if you haven't used one and just heard about please say thanks wonderful cheery peoples XD

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Likes and Dislikes of a Brand Tenor saxophone

The reasons behind the caveats regarding this make are many. The major bugaboos revolve around the fact that these are cheaply produced, Far East sourced horns that he is selling for far more than equivalent, lesser quality examples badged differently but inherently the same horn coming out of the same factory are going for. They exhibit slack quality control, flimsy construction, thin gauge brass bodies, less than optimal setups, and sloppy keywork. Many have reported iffy intonation on some examples, although this wasn't an overriding problem on those I have sampled. Dominique's business practices have not held up well under scrutiny either. This is compounded no doubt by the fact that he has attempted to sell his business holdings for some years now, but is apparently unable to unload it, or is asking too much. I'm certain that other issues will be forthcoming shortly, however this covers the major points of contention. At the end of the day, there are much better options for the same amount of money, and less.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

14 years ago

By "lesser quality" in the first paragraph, I should clarify by rewording it as "equally lower quality horns made in the same factories, but offered at a much lower price elsewhere".

Reply To Post

1. by Lady Royale
        (2 posts)

14 years ago

thanks a bunch. i've also seen that some people like it as well. but i assure you that if it doesn't fit my liking its on the first ups truck back. also is there anyone really who can give me some information on intermediate tenor saxs for sale that wont break the bank?

Reply To Post

1. by mikelrollins
          (3 posts)

13 years ago

As for the Jupiter, one that I tried a while ago was made with soft metal- it looked great but the keys would bend and go out of adjustment very frequently. Too bad since it sounded pretty good when it worked. I'm playing a Yamaha YTS 575 that I got brand new for about $1500, and it's got a lot of projection and good key action- it had to go in once for adjustments around the 6 month mark, holding up well since then. Not as fancy as their Z series but most of the same geometry to my eye. Good luck, happy playing, peace out.

Reply To Post

2. by dorono
          (8 posts)

13 years ago

I agree, Yamaha's are a really solid way to go for intermediate-ish horns. I actually wrote an article breaking down all of the various models of Yamaha that you can read here if you like: www.bestsaxophonewebsiteever.com/yamaha-saxophones-overview
          Doron Orenstein
          http://www.JazzLessonsWithGiants.com
          http://www.BestSaxophoneWebsiteEver.com
          http://www.BulletproofSaxophonePlaying.com

Reply To Post

2. by tempomaster
        (36 posts)

13 years ago

I purchased a DC alto sax about six months ago - it was not a quality product. I am not sure where the DC brand is manufactured but I would bet they make it somewhere in Asia. I ended up returning the sax and got a full refund. DC did stand behind their return policy and I had no trouble with that aspect. After that experince I started to quiz the experts on saxophone manufacturers. The basic theme came back as Taiwan was good, China was bad, although I'm sure one could find exceptions in both cases. I have a Selmer Mark IV alto and a King Cannonball Adderly tenor. I have had both of these horns for over thirty years and they are still good as gold. Having a brand new horn is nice but if I buy another horn it will be a used model made in either the US of A or Europe.

Reply To Post

2. by trombone and sax player
      (10 posts)

13 years ago

Hi, i have the same question except about the brand Cecilio, i am a beginner and am looking for a good saxophone that will fit my price range. is this a good saxophone to go with, or is it not worth my time and money

Reply To Post