Saxophone Forum

by justsomedude47
(4 posts)
14 years ago

Which of these Saxophones should I get??? (My options are listed)

Okay, it's been 9 years since I've actually played a sax, and am now getting back into it. I remember very well how to play, I also still have my past skills of reading the music, taking care of my rentals when I was younger. But being away for so long has distanced me from well known brands and such. I am looking to now purchase a sax just to help me get back into my groove and I have a few options, I've found all the good things and some bad about these brands that are available for me to buy. But I would apreciate some opinions of Veteran and even new players. Okay a bit of the information: I am getting a Tenor Saxophone. Looking to get an intermediate or a pro model. My options are: Palatino, Cecilio and Jupiter. Out of those three, which would any of you recommend? Any and all answers are appreciated. TL;DR- Buying a new Tenor, options are Palatino Cecilio and Jupiter. Asking for opinions on which brand to get.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SuperSax875
    (55 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Which of these Saxophones should I get??? (My options are listed)

If its a modern Jupiter, then it is far superior to the other two. Older Jupiter horns are horrible, but the modern ones are great intermediate horns.

Reply To Post

1. by justsomedude47
      (4 posts)

14 years ago

Thanks! I was pushing towards Jupiter, BTW I am getting a new model not used. thanks for adding confidence to my decision! Still open to any other opinions and suggestions though.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
        (653 posts)

14 years ago

of those three, the jupiter is easily the best. Actually, 4 months ago or so, a friend who directs a middle school band got a jupiter for the band, and even though it was a student horn, I was very impressed. It sounded better (to me) than a yamaha 52. the one area it lacked was responsiveness (didnt like big jumps) which im sure would be better in intermediate or pro horns.

Reply To Post

1. by justsomedude47
          (4 posts)

14 years ago

Thanks so much guys! You both helped me out a great deal and I appreciate it! BTW, I'm going to go with the Jupiter 889SG Artist Tenor. It seems to be the best choice for me. Not pro I know, but I've heard nothing but great things about it. I'm so excited to get back to playing and especially with such an exceptional horn!

Reply To Post

2. by cuber
          (653 posts)

14 years ago

with jupiters, newer the better.

Reply To Post

3. by kneejerk52
          (397 posts)

14 years ago

you might check out this guy, Ken Barry at SaxScape mouthpieces. he custom makes mpc's, but most of all i think his audio samples are on a juipter like you are looking at.

Reply To Post