Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
20 years ago

This is Kinda Buggin me

ok, i got a pretty big problem guys, and need help, as u probably know, im a junior in highschool, ive just rescently seen myself getting better..i think im good, every person in the band hates me and sez i suck, i donno whats up wit that..but thas not wat im talkin about.. this freshman this year, whos this kid with real good style and all plays every sax, alto is his best, and tenor 2nd, then everything else hes even with...but he is absolutely amazing on that horn, hes better than even our best senior player doubled..i donno how he got like that, improvin with this kid is unreal..my spot in jazz is a little bit threatend now so i really need to show my teacher what im made of and that im better than that kid, tips for improv?? style?? technique??creating unique sounding solos?? tips for practicing in general?? tips for vibrato?? just anything, what u guys do to get better and prove yourselves

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by bronzemonkey992
    (22 posts)

20 years ago

Re: This is Kinda Buggin me

I wish I could give you a quick fix to solve your problem but there really isn't one single thing you can do; all you can do is practice and progress over time. Plus, in your post you act like this guy is pretty talented. Don't just try to be better than him. Try to learn from him and be his friend and along the way, hopefully, you will become better than him. A better point I would like to make is that it doesn't matter who is better and who is worse; it is how much you enjoy and love music. You make it sound like you don't like this guy; try to be his friend you will benefit from it much, much more.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by saxgrobie
      (86 posts)

20 years ago

I definately agree. If I were you, I would talk to him, get to know him a little bit, and try to find out what his secret is. Some people just have a God given talent and those can be annoying. But I'm sure he practices his butt off too. See if maybe the two of you can get together to practice. Just my opinion . . . Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by barimachine
        (323 posts)

20 years ago

i had that problem... still do but thats different its not cuz i suck but last year we had this real natural kid hes nuts still is but he seems more in reach now that ive been learning and working and working now i heard him running nows the time and it was so latin and i was thinking wait i can play all those licks and all that so you never know just keep working

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

2 things... 1) there will alwase be someone better than you. 2) like people mentioned before (assuming he is a good and decent guy) talk to him, work on being freinds, and be nice to him. It's called diplomacy (spelling) Plus there is a good quote out there about management that applies here. "A good manager takes all the responsibilty but none of the credit" think about it... Don't try to show this guy up, just be humble, tell him he is good, give complements, and be a nice guy. If you're the leader of the section take the responsiblity for the whole section. Make sure everyone knows what's going on, plan some pratices, and put in some effort. Then when you have a concert or are doing well in pratice say "well we have been working hard and everyone here knows their music... " (or something that dosnt' have a "I" or "me" in it. If you do things like that along with playing well I would think you will keep your job.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by wesmiller
          (55 posts)

20 years ago

Reading your post made me think of a biker in a race constantly looking behind or to the side for other competitors. Why worry about the accomplishments of someone else? You can't control that person. The only person you can control is yourself, and in this scenario that is done through practice. Also, private lessons if you aren't already taking them. Some of the other posters suggest getting to know this individual better; the strategy being to learn from him and thereby improve your own playing. My guess is you know him enough already and any move to befriend him would be seen by him as a tranparent attempt to move in on his already growing turf. Hey, its human nature. So, we are back to what can you truly control? Just my thoughts. Not always clear cut answers. Best of Luck WM

Reply To Post

3. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

"befriend him would be seen by him as a tranparent attempt to move in on his already growing turf." oops forgot about that... I was assuming that befriending that person would be done in a true, honest, humble way. I wasn't saying to kiss the persons ass, that really won't get you anywhere in life. But to actually have a intrest in the person. the bike race works well; bitching, or worrying about others isn't going to get a person anywhere. They need to man up and makethings happen theirselves.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

in a way, i was in the same situation. my best guy friend and i have played saxophone together for fun and stuff, but then all of a sudden he really developed his playing. he was amazing all of a sudden, and i felt like my reputation for being an awesome jazz musician hit the dust. i started to let my competitivness and my jealousy ruin our great friendship. when he got a better position than me in jazz band i was even more jealous. i guess then i just woke up one day and realized that this guy and i have a great friendship, and i should LEARN from him instead of cut myself down because of his talent. i feel like i've improved so much more because of his help. we've played duets at funerals together and stuff and he's always there to help me out. so now we both have a good reputation. good luck, kara

Reply To Post

5. by saxgrobie
          (86 posts)

20 years ago

Wow, Kara! I totally understand what you are saying . . . MY good guy friend and I are just like that. We practice together and give each other advice and stuff. Its always great to have a friend who plays too. That way you have someone you can talk to when you are frustrated or need help. And yes, if you are gonna try to be his friend, Mike, be honest about it. Don't just do it because he can play. ;) Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM