Saxophone Forum

by katel70
(1 post)
14 years ago

Recommended Reed Brands?

I have read Jim's list on recommended brands to look for www.saxquest.com/forumPostView.asp?ForumUID=10&ThreadUID=4396&PostUID=.. Does anyone have one for brand's of reeds? My 11yr son is a 1st yr alto sax player and really likes it. We are currently renting a Yamaha (200 series, i think) I don't know what mouthpiece came with it. His band director recommended Rico or Rico Royal, soft. At the local store these work out to about $2/ reed. Are there any other brands that are good that i can get online for less? In the first 2 weeks, he has gone thru 3 reeds. THanks for your help and for this site! K Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

13 years ago

Re: Recommended Reed Brands?

no.

Reply To Post

1. by dorono
      (8 posts)

13 years ago

You're learning that reeds are *expensive.* Reeds do actually make, in my opinion a massive difference in a player's sound, so if you can avoid cutting corners too much on this, it could be helpful to your son in the long run. I've been loving Vandoren Java reeds for the longest time, but those are definitely geared towards jazz playing due to their bright and cutting sound, and may not be appropriate for playing in a concert band where they play lots of marching band and classical music. Generally speaking, I like Vandoren reeds all the way around. The regular Vandoren saxophone reeds have a nice dark sound that would work great for a concert band, and are of a generally higher quality than Rico. I'd say, go to a music store and pick up a few reeds from each brand, have your son try a few out, and see what feels and sounds best for him. I hope that helps, Doron
      Doron Orenstein
      http://www.JazzLessonsWithGiants.com
      http://www.BestSaxophoneWebsiteEver.com
      http://www.BulletproofSaxophonePlaying.com

Reply To Post

2. by dgallego
    (27 posts)

13 years ago

Rico royals use to be ok. I have never been a rico fan at all. LaVoz is what I use but I have been Jazz/rock player since I was in high school. Cheep reeds wear out faster then good ones anyway. I would recommend that you get him a reed saver or what ever they call them it is a flat surface with 4 clips on it to hold 4 reeds in it. It presses them flat and protects them. Never leave it on the mouthpiece in the case. As far a mouthpieces when you find a horn to buy I would recommend that you ask the dealer to let him try some mouthpieces with the horn. Mouthpieces are not one fits all. Stock mouthpieces are ussally not that good (some are crap) and it is a personal thing. Encourage him and most of all he has to have fun.

Reply To Post

1. by AntonRoth
      (4 posts)

13 years ago

I prefer synthtetic reeds exspecially for beginners, so, a lot of problems with reeds do not exist in this starting time. among others, they can play for a much longer time on the same reed, so they become well familiar with its reactions etc. Later, they can decide to use cane or not, and can learn to handle it. Meditation

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

13 years ago

Playing saxophone isn't cheap!! Check out the prices of a Selmer or even the Yamaha professional horns. Reeds are a problem with all sax players. The price is high, the reeds get broken easily, aflter being played for a while they get water logged and start sounding bad... I hate synthetic reeds but it might be a good thing for you to try............or have your kid play drums!!
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Cornish Pasty
        (1 post)

7 years ago

Yes, synthetic reeds are the way to go for beginners. For reasons that will give the player no problems with using a reed. It's well documented that cane reeds are only 4 pout 10 that will allow you to freely blow and for a beginner this issue could stop the learning. I still use synthetic reeds for practice and then spend days, months, years searching for the ultimate cane reed for performing. In my early days of playing, putting on a new reed was the most scary event of my life. I wish I had discovered synthetic reeds much earlier on, they give you 90% satisfaction Oh yes, you will always come across 1or 2 that will sound below the standard.

Once you put reverb on the sax or play in an acoustically enhanced room, the sound will be hard to tell if it's a cane reed or Synthetic. However, the best I ever sounded was using a cane reed - La Voz. I still have a wardrobe full of unopened boxes of La Voz, which I plan to use when the time is right, but for now I want to prove to myself that synthetic is almost 85% of what you would get after spending days and months trying different cane reeds to get the sound you like.

In summary, save hours, days and weeks of frustration by avoiding cane reeds altogether and focus on your playing by using synthetic reeds such as Fibrecell.

Reply To Post