Saxophone Forum

by katt
(5 posts)
14 years ago

Conn 10M saxophone - what do I have?

I'm sure you hear this a lot but..... LOL I inherited this sax from an uncle along with a Conn trombone. The only thing I know is that it is stamped on the back: 10M - PAT APP'D FOR - 956057x - On the bell it has a lot of engraving but its hard to read - I can see CONN - Elkhart Ind - US - its not in the greatest shape visually due to the lacquer - it has a few little dings here & there but nothing major (maybe 5 or 6 dings smaller than a dime) the lacquer is probably about 40-50% (I'm guessing) I really need to get this sax sold in order to get my 11yo daughter an alto sax - I recently lost my job and cant afford the rental price on hers :( She was able to get some pretty good notes out of it (its about the same size as she is!) and the tone sounded surprisingly good...but I'm not an expert. So any help I can get on value would be extremely helpful. Thanks so much for your help.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by adetenor
    (68 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Conn 10M saxophone - what do I have?

Hi....as much as i dig s.qu. I have come to really dislike this chatroom. Here...a lady in need of real help....and it takes a guy from u.k. to offer. Probably not a bad thing. Most of them are......well. It is worth plenty my dear. I do not have the time to really check it...but have owned two....over the years. I am not going to say X ammount.....but i will say this. Be careful. With a good freind.....go around a dealer or two. Do not appear too eager to sell......like you aint bothered......let them wait....play them off.......cont.

Reply To Post

1. by adetenor
      (68 posts)

14 years ago

Cont......sorry, yeah look on ebay for same. I beleive sites exist, where they match serial #to date. Do some homework.....dont worry. You have a genuine classic. Good luck....I hope things get better for you. Moderator.......please cancel my membership. Love the store......not all this. Only a security thing. Dont forget my "Lamberson" Mark.....thanks.

Reply To Post

1. by katt
        (5 posts)

14 years ago

Thank you for your help :) British guys are awesome ;) Sorry to see you leave..... You've help a lot! My daughter & I really appreciate it!

Reply To Post

2. by adetenor
      (68 posts)

14 years ago

Cont......sorry, yeah look on ebay for same. I beleive sites exist, where they match serial #to date. Do some homework.....dont worry. You have a genuine classic. Good luck....I hope things get better for you. Moderator.......please cancel my membership. Love the store......not all this. Only a security thing. Dont forget my "Lamberson" Mark.....thanks.

Reply To Post

1. by adetenor
        (68 posts)

14 years ago

A real pleasure Katt. I really hope things pick up you.....they will, and that your little girl becomes one day a great player. I aint leavin'......i' ll be watching.....ade.

Reply To Post

2. by adetenor
        (68 posts)

14 years ago

A real pleasure Katt. I really hope things pick up you.....they will, and that your little girl becomes one day a great player. I aint leavin'......i' ll be watching.....ade.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
          (653 posts)

14 years ago

well, adetenor, if you are going to act as arrogantly as you have here, I, for one, will be rather glad to see you leave. If you do not like it here, then why do you stay? Anyway, what you have is a mid-60's 10m, probably made after Conn moved to Nogles, New Mexico. Being an alto player, I havent kept up with tenor prices, but depending on the condition I might expect around $1500 (dont be surprised if that number fluxuates by $500 in either way) Do you have something in mind alto-wise to buy your daughter?

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

14 years ago

Cuber, I agree with you that adetenor is an arrogant piece of work, and I wonder why he keeps haunting us as he does?? I'm sure he's hot much of a player, but he has an ego as large as all outdoors. At first I thought his bad manners were caused by this alleged tooth ache?? Oh well, his advice on the tenor wasn't bad!!..........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by katt
          (5 posts)

14 years ago

I am pretty much an idiot when it comes to these - I was just hoping to be able to get her a decent alto that isnt going to cost me $60/mo LOL so any help I get will be appreciated :) Thanks for your help - BTW - I've seen posts where it says the Nogles tenors have an 'N' on them & this one does not??? Not sure if that makes a difference....just didnt want to sell it for $100 and regret it LOL

Reply To Post

4. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

???...If you can help Katt cool. What you think of me....not relevant. Cuber...cool name. After Ronnie? Word to the wise kid...if you got the name....you got the goods. Have

Reply To Post

5. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

a good day.

Reply To Post

6. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

Oh man......

Reply To Post

7. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

Oh man......

Reply To Post

8. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

.....Didnt see you there at first Kelsey. Some post dude....far out.

Reply To Post

9. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

.....Didnt see you there at first Kelsey. Some post dude....far out.

Reply To Post

10. by cuber
          (653 posts)

14 years ago

Katt- judging from the serial number, it could very well be after conn moved from nogles. But dont sell it for $100. I would suggest looking into a used Yamaha YAS 23. theyre undeniably the best student horn, and used, theyre a fraction of what new horns cost. adetenor, if you are challenging me, id be glad to accept, as long as you come here... to the USA. And for all you know, I very well could have the last name of Cuber, but no relation to Ronnie.

Reply To Post

11. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

Cuber... Kelsey...why has it come to this. Look. I am 47. All this internet..new to me. A harmless diversion. Humour me. Dont take things so personal. Arrogant i am not. Perhaps over confident in my opinions....yeah. If that is a bad thing......i dunno. I do know...the one thing i really do know..is the tenor sax....cont.

Reply To Post

12. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

....I notice, you both have taken time to "question" my character. No comment on any of my advice.....nor any real discourse. Cuber....i am certain in the absolute, that we have never spoken. The fact you come crashing in...."he's so arrogant"...???? I will finish this....have to catch the pharmacy.

Reply To Post

13. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

A beautiful day. Anyhow.....i have played tenor 37 yr. 4 yr. back, this Dec. I was involved in an accident. Totally unable to play for 2yr. In recovery..last 20 month. That accident cost me everything. I return to the pro circuit next year...and yes Cuber, i will be in the U.S.....next Oct./Nov. Do i have a point? I dunno. I am,i think defending my opinions. Cynical maybe. Overconfident...yeah. I am a realist. Talk of my accident.....not relevant....other than to me. Maybe you can dig this....maybe not. I will say this. My emotional recovery has been slow. I am angry and bitter....r.e. Turn of events. Time is a healer.

Reply To Post

14. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

Kelsey. I see from your profile, that this forum means a lot to you. I have been concerned. I dont want you to get worked up man. Again...i have to say....not once have i been other than polite to members. Off the cuff remarks, regarding.....well whatever, seem to have been

Reply To Post

15. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

Sorry....taken personally. I am trying to rectify a silly situation. You have got to admit Kelsey......your first text to me? Old news, it dont matter. Maybe that is a good place to stop. It is a chatroom guys. Nothing to stress over. If i come across as a bitter arrogant man......ignore it. Whether i stay or go.....again.....dont matter. Lets all grow up huh? Regards.....ade tenor.

Reply To Post

16. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

Sorry....taken personally. I am trying to rectify a silly situation. You have got to admit Kelsey......your first text to me? Old news, it dont matter. Maybe that is a good place to stop. It is a chatroom guys. Nothing to stress over. If i come across as a bitter arrogant man......ignore it. Whether i stay or go.....again.....dont matter. Lets all grow up huh? Regards.....ade tenor.

Reply To Post

17. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

Kelsey. I see from your profile, that this forum means a lot to you. I have been concerned. I dont want you to get worked up man. Again...i have to say....not once have i been other than polite to members. Off the cuff remarks, regarding.....well whatever, seem to have been

Reply To Post

18. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

Yeah....i am happy with that. Had all day to reflect. Playing tenor sax has been my life. It has been cathartic.....thanks.

Reply To Post

19. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

27 years not 37. Apologies for the duplicate posts. This phone.....later.

Reply To Post

20. by katt
          (5 posts)

14 years ago

Thanks for all the help cuber :) It's great to know what a 'quality' sax is! Some people can be so unscrupulous when it comes to those who know nothing ;) She has a Selmer right now & I've looked at that very Yamaha model - now I know what to choose! Thanks again

Reply To Post

21. by chucksovick
          (4 posts)

14 years ago

Hi Katt, I have been playing sax for over 40 years. The model 10 Conn is derived from the "Naked Lady". And unless you have a "N" next to the serial number it was made in the USA. Which is good, junk was made in Mexico. This horn may go over $1000 on ebay. But, the condition of the horn will have a lot to do what you can get for it. Though the a lot of laquor is gone, the overall condition is what matters. You can also make an allowance for replacing pads and tunning up the horn. I just sold a student model 16M Conn on e-bay for $800. I allowed $500 for pads and a tune-up. As far as what to buy for daughter. Do not discount Selmer! Selmer and Conn are one company now! You can find a very inexpensive Selmer Student Model on-line. Or thru a Music store. A lot of people took the approach that if it was made in USA it was junk. Well, the Japanese learned off of us. Yamaha are good horns, but so are Selmers & Conns. It just like buying a car ;preference. Conn/Selmer own nearly all of brands that have been around for years. Best of luck in your music adventure.

Reply To Post

22. by katt
          (5 posts)

14 years ago

Hi there Chuck! You are a wealth of info & I appreciate your help with this. This is great news to me & my daughter. I do enjoy the sound of the Selmer, my only problem was how much I am being charged UGH! I know it is worth the money but it really isnt affordable for me at the moment - I actually have bought 1 Selmer/Bundy sax last week & am looking for 1 more (I got a really good deal on this one - $150 & its beautiful with a great sound) I would love a 2nd one so my daughter doesnt have to carry it back & forth to school. I am looking at another Selmer as well for her "at home" sax :) Thanks again for your help with this....I am going to be listing the Conn 10M on ebay tomorrow :)

Reply To Post