Saxophone Forum

by bobsadog
(1 post)
14 years ago

Conn Pan American Alto Saxophone serial # 64373

let me know if this is the right place to post this; just bought it for band for my son. The serial number says it's old but that's not the issue, the band teacher says it has an extra key can anyone explain this to me? thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by AndrewM
    (1 post)

13 years ago

Re: Conn Pan American Alto Saxophone serial # 64373

I have a Pan American alto with the Conn 'Mercedes' low C# guard (serial #34xxx). It has two 'extra' keys on the right hand... an alternative G# trill key ( when you hold the G# key down you can trill G-G# with this key) and a forked Eb key (located next to the patent and serial numbers) that allows playing Eb with the F & D fingers (E key open). Both these keys were fairly common in early saxophones, but have been eliminated in modern sax keywork.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

13 years ago

Re: Conn Pan American Alto Saxophone serial # 64373

ah Pan Americans..... i heard a rumor somewhere that the serial numbers on pan ams was more or less random. cant validate that, but its entirely possible. by extra key, he means either: (most likely has both, but if the band director isnt a sax player he probably wont know this) 1) trill G# key. played by pressing down a pearl in between the F and E pearls when the G# key on the lefthand spatula was pressed down 2) Trill... um... E? (dont quite remember the exact note, could be an Eb. doesnt really matter, because the spring has been reversed on most saxes with this feature, making the key irrelevent) its played by lifting the F# key while the F and D keys are down. I think. its a tiny little thing on the back side of the body of the sax, across from the low B. this sax has both (in fact, its my old pan-am) www.pmwoodwind.com/instruments.cfm?c=1&instrumentid=2037&morepics=1

Reply To Post