Saxophone Forum

by Sax Mom
(964 posts)
20 years ago

Soprano Mouthpiece

Thinking of trying out a E.M. Winston Soprano Sax (used) but need a mouthpiece. Just beginning on soprano, and wondering about Rico mouthpieces. What's the difference between B3 and B5? Are they terrible? What would be serviceable, but not spendy?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Soprano Mouthpiece

if you are playing anywhere above a 6th grade level - even if it is only first day of seventh grade level, I would most certainly NOT get a rico piece - they are a very basic piece that are meant to learn on - not to play on - they probably play easier than any other piece, but it shows in quality. I would probably start on at least a guy hwakins. As for the winston - you would be MUCH better off going with a jupiter, and those are downright terrible. And as far as I know, yamaha is the only company that makes a student soprano, and is probably the only remotely good student model soprano widely availiable - I think cannonball MIGHT be making one now, but so far we havent seen any student horns from them - or any anywhere for that matter. The winston is mildly serviceable, but you cant get parts and nothing will last long on it. We had a 3 year old winston trumpet come in the other day that needed 6 solder points just from the kid pulling it out of the case by the lead pipe. Not recomended, but a respectable instrument wouldnt have fallen apart

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

20 years ago

The Antiguas are generally better regarded than the Jupiter Artist Sopranos, and are less expensive as well. If I were in the market for a new Soprano, I'd probably look into a current production Antigua Winds.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

20 years ago

Well what I meant was that I wasnt recomending the jupiter - I was trying to make a point aobut the winston. does antigua make a student line sop? The only ones we have are pro models and they go for about a grand if I remember right - I couldnt imagine a yamaha going for much more than 600 bucks. If it were me, I would get a asthetically less that perfect true-tone for about 1200.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

20 years ago

or a Conn - I have played 2 conn sops so far, and both played better than the buescher I played

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks, guys, but the horn is not up for debate. I said I was thinking of trying it out, but I can't try it out without a mouthpiece. I won't know if it happens to be a decent horn if I try it out with a bad mouthpiece. If I get a decent mouthpiece, I can keep it for whatever horn I eventually settle with (if any). I would want more of a classical sound, so what tip, baffle, etc. do I want on a soprano? The facing on my mouthpieces for Alto and Tenor is a 3, but I don't really know anything about the rest of the specs, Sumner Acousticut out of Minneapolis. They were recommended by my college instructor. I've notice that Guy Hawkins comes in at least 3 types for soprano. What would be the more classical?

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

oh, I thought you were just kind of starting to learn the soprano - the sop is kind of a different animal and a lot of stuff has to be learned on it, their basic bore design is different than the alto, and the embouchure takes rather major adjustment. For a classical piece, the rousseau R's are good - I would go with the biggest tip you can get - on a sop the pieces and tips are so small that you get to where the low notes dont play right I beleive 5 is the largest. The soloists also play really good on sops for classical. I would go for an E there.

Reply To Post

3. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

For classical playing, I use an old Geo Bundy hard rubber piece - a 3 facing. I play Vandoren ZZ 3 1/2 reeds on it and get a real rich tone such that I can cover English Horn parts with a solid low end and without the tinny/"saxy" sound of jazz soprano. I use the same mouthpiece for doubling/tripling at church using a Bari synthetic reed (hard). The sound is a little brighter using one of those reeds, but it is still warm and tasteful. With a hard reed, expressive vibrato is possible on a 3 facing, but softer reeds pinch off as it's rather closed. I don't know how the modern Bundy HR mouthpieces play, but I recently tried a Jewel Concert HR soprano piece along side my old Geo Bundy and I couldn't tell the difference. You want a mouthpiece with little or no baffle for classical playing, and one with a larger chamber as opposed to a smaller one. What kind of group are you playing in? If you need lots of volume, then you should go for a larger tip opening - my Bundy is my "finesse" piece. My Vandoren S35 is for when I need lots of projection. A Vandoren S25 might be a good "middle of the road" though I've not tried one. If you want to go metal, then I would recommend trying the Otto Link Super Tone Master pieces as they are large chambered with only a moderate baffle which keeps it rich enough for classical. Maybe a 5 opening.

Reply To Post

4. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

20 years ago

I play with a rather makeshift group of saxophone and brass, usually for church, hence the classical tone. I may also do some solo work, depending on the occassion. Thanks for all the mouthpiece help (don't think I'll go metal, as just the thought hurts my teeth!)

Reply To Post