Saxophone Forum

by wahrhaftig
(1 post)
13 years ago

Sax Bands or Tenor Sax Bands

A friend of mine says that there used to be Sax Bands with three tenor saxes and a very few additional instruments. Ever hear of such a thing? What can you tell me? Know a source for music for such a combo?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by ctn83913
    (1 post)

10 years ago

Re: Sax Bands or Tenor Sax Bands

I am reasonably sure you friend was referring to three tenors and a baritone sax. The best known tenor band I know of was Woody Herman. Hope this answers your question.

Reply To Post

1. by Gregory Butko
      (8 posts)

10 years ago

Tenor bands used three tenors.  Woody Herman employed three tenors and a baritone, using clarined and alto sax himself.

Tenor bands have a charastic harmony that differs from the traditional saxophone sextion.  This is becasue the melody is not always the highest note played.

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

10 years ago

Little Richard used a drummer and three awesome tenors. Many of the black players that people stole fron (Pat Boone) used the same setup. Ray Charles used a number of tenors in early days also. Jimmi Hendrix came from such an enviroment, but many people just don't know the true musical history behind where we are today. Tenor saxes were very dominant in the early crossover days. It took European white guys to make the black music make stream.

Reply To Post

3. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

10 years ago

There use to be "Tenor Bands" in the 40's and 50s and earlier.. They were corny bands that played at places like Moose, Elks Clubs and VFWs. They had usually the 3 tenors, a trumpet with a rhythm section. Then there was the Woody Herman Band that had the 3 tenors, a Bari, Woody played alto and clarinet, a brass section and rhythm. They were a very hip Jazz band.

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxybill1
      (8 posts)

5 years ago

There is a group of saxes called Supersax.  An amazing group and although you may not appreciate the selections of good, just give them a listen as they are great players.

William Morris kent

Reply To Post