Saxophone Forum

by Sob
(2 posts)
13 years ago

tuning Flat or sharp?

Weird question; playing in a blues band and the guitars tune half step down, i like it due to it seems to give me more notes to play in the Blues scale and i can hear harmonys better. Now the guitars have switched back to standard tuning and i am have some difficulties and its throwing me off a little. My question is if i tune my tenor sax up a half would that put me back to the latter, would that work? I really like the sounds of different tunings.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SuperSax875
    (55 posts)

13 years ago

Re: tuning Flat or sharp?

I don't quite understand what you mean in regards to why you would want to do that, but I wouldn't recommend moving your mouthpiece around to the extreme ends of cork. It doesn't raise the whole instrument's pitch up evenly, making the horn play out of tune with itself. And the response of some notes really suffers.

Reply To Post

1. by Sob
      (2 posts)

13 years ago

Thats what i figured, Thank you

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

13 years ago

Stay with me now, when the guitar players tune their guitars down a half step from the keys they love to play in, probably A and E, this would put you in concert Ab and Eb. These are easier keys for most sax players. When they go back to the regular tuneings you are in harder keys. My suggestion would be learn that blues scale you talk about in all 12 keys. Then problem solved.
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM