Saxophone Forum

by iceblade578
(1 post)
13 years ago

Help in choosing a new mouthpiece!

Hi! I've been playing the sax for 7 years. Even though I've been playing for this long, I have no idea of what mouthpiece to buy since our country is bereft of these products. If they were available here, it would be over priced (ex. a V16 alto would cost around $300). Therefore i would like to order online. Anyway, my horn is an alto and my budget would be around $250 though I would prefer if it were cheaper like maybe $150 :D. And I would generally use it for jazz and soloing. I know there is a list of mouthpieces in this site but I have no idea on how to choose. So my questions are: What brands and lines of mouthpieces would you suggest? How wide should the opening be? What is the expected price? Where (trusted site) could I buy them? And is there anything to look out for? Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by AntonRoth
    (4 posts)

13 years ago

Re: Help in choosing a new mouthpiece!

A MPC for "Jazz and soloing". Means usually a sound at least bright enough to be clearly heard also in louder situations. A somewhat extrem solution can be a claude lakey, which is (very) bright and powerful. Comparable to this is a new design by selmer, called selmer spirit. It is somewhat more elegant than the lakey, less shrill, but as powerful. I like it a lot. Meditation

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

13 years ago

I have always played Meyer mouthpieces on my alto until I bought this Jody Jazz piece. It's not as good as my old New York Meyer but it's very good and not too expensive..........Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by gloss1
    (27 posts)

12 years ago

Its hard to beat these old Selmer scroll hard rubber and metal pieces. No matter what you buy please have someone fine tune it. In most all cases the rails are usually never even on any of these mouthpieces. Have an expert like Dave Jary check it for you. He usually has a back log but when you get it back guard it with your life. It will be a killer player. Just let him know your exact needs.

Reply To Post