Saxophone Forum

by Pequegnat
(3 posts)
13 years ago

Selmer Soprano Series III or Yamaha YSS-475II

Hi everyone.. I guess you could say I am a newbie.. in fact I have never played a sax... but it's my 50th coming up.. and I have decided the soprano sax is what I want to play. This will be my first sax... my review on the internet and in speaking with some teachers suggest that the YSS-475II for about $1,800 is a good reliable instrument... (new from a store with guarantee)... I just spoke with another store that has a Selmer soprano series II available marked down to $3,300 as it hasn't moved in 8 months... but there are some negative reviews on the internet regarding keys sticking... does anyone have any suggestions whether the Selmer is worth purchasing at this price differential? thanks pierre

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Pequegnat
    (3 posts)

13 years ago

Re: Selmer Soprano Series III or Yamaha YSS-475II

Correction.. Series III, not II

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

13 years ago

If I were you I would'nt begin my learning of the saxophone with a soprano sax. They are the hardest of all saxes. (I'd start on alto) Of the two horns mentioned, the Selmer is better but lots more money, and I'm sure you won't be able to tell the difference for a few years. I'd go with the Yamaha. The 475 is a great mid level soprano and will suit your needs well.....Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Pequegnat
        (3 posts)

13 years ago

Kelsey, thank you so much for your response... I just wrote about 30 minutes and I lost it.. so I will have to be more brief... I am committed to starting with a soprano.. all the arms length contacts, like you have encouraged the alto, but why drop 2 grand on an alto and then start over.. the teachers suggest that with commitment, I should be able to do the soprano... correct me if I or they are wrong.. it comes down to.. i can get a selmer III for 3.3 grand... new.. from a retail store... versus a 475II for 1.8 grand.... I simply want to play... which will be easier to learn on? I am not worried about the cash.. I just want a nice sax that I can learn to play on.. 10 or 20 years from now.. maybe pass it on to my nieces... are there challenges with the series III as suggested on the internet? certainly inherent value of the selmer is attractive. thanks so much for your response. regards, Pierre

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
          (653 posts)

13 years ago

I played a 475 alto for six years. When I was looking for a new horn, a series III didnt impress me too much. Frankly, there arent too many horns id suggest over a 475. if you can find a yanigasawa, theyre supposed to be excellent soprano saxes.

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

13 years ago

Pierre, if you are a rich man get the selmer. They'll hold their value better if or when you sell them. To learn to play any sax takes commitment, don't let it lead to you being commited. The soprano is harder to control but it's not impossible to learn on. I wish you lots of luck. Don't forget to get a good teacher. That can mean more than what kind of horn you buy.....Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM