Saxophone Forum

by kelsey
(930 posts)
13 years ago

Just wondering??

I see beginning sax players wanting to buy vintage saxophones. Wouldn't it be better for them to buy a new Yamaha or some other new horn. They are usually less money and easier to play??? PS, I play an old Mark Vl but I am vintage myself....Kelsey

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

13 years ago

Re: Just wondering??

i have tried both, new and vintage. If the vintage would hold up and not need as much tweeking i would vote for vintage. I like the tone and feel of the older horns. But the new horns are a better bet as long as it's a reliable name or dealer. Yamaha are always good, i have kessler red brass custom alto that i love and the price was very good.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
      (547 posts)

13 years ago

Re: Just wondering??

I gotta agree with Kelsey on this one. I have students..quite a few..and find that the young players do much better on the more modern horns..it's my feeling that a vintage horn is appropriate for a player who knows very well exactly the sound he's looking for, and which of the vintage axes might give him.or her ..that sound. I lust after an old Conn naked Lady tenor..I can hear that sound, but haven't come across one that I can afford..or pry out of the local school system..what a shame. I feel that the young player would be wiser to look into Yamaha, Yanigasawa, or a mid ninties Selmer and wait until they are mature enough to know what vintage they might be after..a King..a MarkVI..a Conn..a nice old martin..but until they have the sound in their ears..go modern..that's my story

Reply To Post