Saxophone Forum

by Jazz_Doc
(2 posts)
13 years ago

Chosing Tip Opening when Changing from Rubber to Metal Alto Mouthpiece

Can anyone provide guidance as to how to choose the correct tip opening when converting from a hard rubber to a metal alto sax mouthpiece? I currently play a Couf 4* (Tip 68/1000") or Meyer 6M (75/1000"). I have had all kinds of problems with instability of metal pieces, etc. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by edoney
    (20 posts)

13 years ago

Re: Chosing Tip Opening when Changing from Rubber to Metal Alto Mouthpiece

I would go with the same openings you are use to using. If you are having problems, I would think that other factors are to blame. Many metal mouthpieces are narrower than the rubber piece you mention and that may take time to get use to.. Some piece have extreme baffles or facing curves that cause problems. And there is always the problem of uneven rails, tips or tables in mass produced mouthpieces. But I play the same tip openings on metal and rubber with no trouble.

Reply To Post

1. by Jazz_Doc
      (2 posts)

13 years ago

Re: Chosing Tip Opening when Changing from Rubber to Metal Alto Mouthpiece

My thoughts also-have never had a problem with tenor. I suspect it is a combination of many things that bring instability to metal alto pieces-reeds, ligatures, rails, baffles, etc. Appreciate your input and reassurance. Mark

Reply To Post