Saxophone Forum

by chiamac
(586 posts)
20 years ago

what makes a good slow song?

so this has been on my mind for a while... what makes a good slow song? Take Madian Voyage (spelling) for example... that song is really simple, but yet it (to me) dosn't get boring to play or listen to. another one (on the radio) is Maps by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs... it's a really simple song, but for some reason I find it really intresting. So I ask you guys... what sets these songs apart?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

20 years ago

Re: what makes a good slow song?

true, true... i kinda like time for a change..its not too slow, but its slow, hank levey?? anyone?? haha i like him..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by Jack Cici
    (87 posts)

20 years ago

I WOULD RECOMMEND SUMMERTIME ITSPRETTY SLOW.ALSO TRY DESAFINADO

Reply To Post

1. by Hexaclon
      (90 posts)

20 years ago

I belive it's the feeling man. Maybe the notes on that melody fit in so perfectly, it doesn't mater how much notes you play, I guess what really maters is what notes you play.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by YanagisawA-901
        (312 posts)

20 years ago

im studying this in college level theory right now.. its all in the emotion that you play the song with.. theres a difference between pressing your keys down and getting the notes out, and playing absolutely beautifully.. some of that is trying to get a 3d sound even tho the sax is monophonic.. some is vibrato, crecendos, decresendos, support, depth, emotion, memorable "tunes" that someone can keep playing over and over in their head cuz they thought " hey, that was pretty damn cool " so they keep playin over in theyre head.. all of that i believe makes a good slow song

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Ironically, 901's post here was the only one that was even close.

Reply To Post

2. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

huh, i agree. odd... my favorite ballad is "dear lord" by trane

Reply To Post

3. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

The way to tell a good slow song from a bad slow song is whether ladies' panties or beer bottles are being thrown to the stage.

Reply To Post

4. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

I was going more for groove and feeling... something that creats tenson and release. but I think Sax_manaic came the closest! =)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

sax_maniac nailed it... that could be taken more than one way^_^

Reply To Post

6. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

A little correction on 901's post... A sax isn't neccessarily a monophonic instrument. Primarily it is, but you can play multiphonics.

Reply To Post

7. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

"sax_maniac nailed it... that could be taken more than one way^_^" only if they were hot women, and sexy panties.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

8. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

hahahahaha, right on. you can *sort of* play multiphonics on a sax. it's physicaly different that the true multiphics on a brass though, and it sounds like crap.

Reply To Post

9. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

I like My Favorite Things with John Coltrane, Blue Bossa with JJ Johnson, and My Funny Valentine. Blue Bossa's usually not really that slow, but I think it sounds better that way.

Reply To Post

10. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

yeah,my funny valetines a great song

Reply To Post

11. by Hexaclon
          (90 posts)

20 years ago

Yeah!! I have a Blue Bossa version by JJ and Joe Pass. It's awesome!!!

Reply To Post AIM

12. by SelmerParisPassion
          (59 posts)

20 years ago

Once Upon a Summertime, Harlem Nocturne, & All that Jazz (playing with feeling makes the song)

13. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

Yeah, it's playing with feeling. Golferguy- sorry, i just enjoy trying to counter all your points. it's a sign of respect if anything(socrates would agree)

Reply To Post

14. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

oh btw david, I wasn't looking for "good slow songs" I was ASKING about what makes a good slow song.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

15. by SelmerParisPassion
          (59 posts)

20 years ago

Well, to me, I think that feeling makes a slow song. Of course, it has to be "pretty", but I think that it depends on the tone and the sound... it's hard to describe, but I'mm sure you can kinda get my drift. You play a song straight, it sounds ok, but with lots of dynamics, feeling, and the perfect "pretty" chords/harmonies- it'll make Aunt Sally cry. lol! Very nice, chiamac. Christie J

16. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

p.s chiamac the way you labeled the thread made it sound like what are good slow songs, so next time pick a better name for a thread

Reply To Post

17. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

back on topic: I think the "groove" and baseline have a lot to do with making a slow song.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

18. by Armstrong Alto!
          (19 posts)

20 years ago

I really like Harlem Nocturne. I have not yet had the opportunity to play it as of yet, but hopefully the time will come eventually.

Reply To Post

19. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

Funny Valentine on bari. I call it my "two tons of fun" version.

Reply To Post

20. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks, Mark.

Reply To Post

21. by John Dirt
          (2 posts)

20 years ago

I am new to the saxquest site and I didn't know which 'thread" to go on to, so I picked this one. Anyway, I would like to know what kind of saxophone i should buy? I am interested in learning the saxophone but I don't know what brand or size I should buy. I really like the baritone saxophone though, because I'm a Simpsons fan and I've always wanted to play their theme song on baritone saxophone, like Lisa does. Thanks

Reply To Post

22. by John Dirt
          (2 posts)

20 years ago

Also, does anyone know if any good jazz books for beginners. Thanks , John

Reply To Post

23. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Lisa played a tenor. I don't especially like them, but Lennie Neihaus books seem to be very popular as well as Rubank method books for beginners.

Reply To Post

24. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks dude. I had to change my account name because I actuaaly spelled my last name wrong! J wasn't looking when I was typing I guess. Anyway, are you sure Lisa played a tenor? I can almost swear she played the barirone sax. Do you know which saxophone I should play and what brand I should get? I lookede on ebay and saw the Helmke brand for $180. Is that a good brand? Is there any other good brands that are within a budget of $1300? Thats what I've saved up to buy a saxophone but I might not use it if I buy a Helmke. Thanks, John

Reply To Post

25. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks dude. I had to change my account name because I actuaaly spelled my last name wrong! J wasn't looking when I was typing I guess. Anyway, are you sure Lisa played a tenor? I can almost swear she played the barirone sax. Do you know which saxophone I should play and what brand I should get? I lookede on ebay and saw the Helmke brand for $180. Is that a good brand? Is there any other good brands that are within a budget of $1300? Thats what I've saved up to buy a saxophone but I might not use it if I buy a Helmke. Thanks, John

Reply To Post

26. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

20 years ago

Any new sax for 180 isn't going to do the job. Expecially if it's a tenor. If you have 1300, look into the Jupiter Artist Series. I tried one, and it was nice, except for my hands were too small to reach the bottom keys, so I stuck to the Yamahas (62) Selmer, Yamaha, Yanagisawa, and Keilwerths are good brands to stick too. Don't buy a helmke, they are a piece of junk, and repair techs will refuse to fix them, and they break easily. They might look nice, but a used sax of a dependable brand will do a lot better. Good Luck

Reply To Post

27. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Yeah, it's definetly a tenor. Hemke has a TERRIBLE reputation, it probably wouldn't last you more than a year. It would be best to stay away from Ebay, because unless you're an expert on brands and know what to look for, you'll get taken. What state do you live in? It's best to buy from a shop. If you can go up to 1500 I would strongly recommend the Yamaha 62II. It's a pro sax and will definetly last. The reason I recommend it is because it's the best sax for it's money. If that's too much, look at the YAS-475, or some older pro saxes. Start a new discussion, so you'll get more responses. There's an icon towards the top that says start new discussion.

Reply To Post

28. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

20 years ago

I love my 62II it's a great sax for the money. The 475 is basically the same thing with less engraving, less tone quality, and less ease of playing in the high registers. yes, start a new discussion, this is a good topic

Reply To Post

29. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

14 years ago

I think the 6211 is a much better horn............
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

30. by cuber
          (653 posts)

14 years ago

475s vary in quality. I like my 475 over 62 and 82z, but it really doesnt compare well to my ref 54 or an 875

Reply To Post