Saxophone Forum

by azwiggins
(2 posts)
20 years ago

Returning Sax Player

Hello Friends, I'd like to return to playing the sax again. At one time, nearly 20 years ago, I was planning to play professionally. Several kids and a divorce later, I finally have the time to develop as a musician. Believe it or not I still have my student model Conn (alto). Now yearning to resume my study of jazz, I know that my student horn will not take me very far. Do any of you have any suggestions on a decent horn? Tenor or Alto? I can't afford to pick up a Mark VI or a Yamaha Custom quite yet. Is there anything out there that can give me 3-4 years to develop? I'd be honored to hear your suggestions. Thanks. Alex

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Returning Sax Player

good intermediate/pro saxes are kielwerths, and the yanagisawa 901...i personally have the 901 which i feel is above a intermediate and they say so too, i think thatll do me well through college... but id say for you to get a keilwerth ex-90, its an intermediate horn that plays like a pro, gives you great projection and its tone is in your face and very jazzy. it has a larger bow tho so you need a lot of air for this horn

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Congratulations on returning to the saxophone! What year was your Conn a new horn? Is your Conn really trashed? My feeling is that reputable student horns in good repair are good enough to get going again. But if spending a few bucks will get you pumped, then that's cool, too. I went and bought myself a premium horn last year simply because I felt inspired to do so. Now that I'm back to nearly full speed ahead, I've found I don't really need a pro horn to do what I do. Let me know if you want some help nursing your Conn back to health.

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
      (248 posts)

20 years ago

i agree with yani, an ex90 would serve you well. although maniac makes a good point. hmm... cookies for everyone! i say stick with your conn. Free is cheaper than an ex90

Reply To Post

3. by azwiggins
    (2 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks for all of the great advice!!! My old Conn Alto serial number is K51470....I think it dates to the mid sixties...is it a decent horn as far as quality is concerned and should I overhaul it? Or should I just donate it to my local music store? It needs a bit of work.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

20 years ago

Depends on how much work it needs. Send me thorough pictures and I could tell you in general terms if you have something worth fussing with. Mostly, it depends on the amount of dent damage and whether the key action is smooth. Bent rods and dent removal start racking up time and cost for restoration.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

If you like the Yamaha Customs,something that plays practically just as good for half the price is the Yamaha 62II. It's about 1650 for alto, 1800 for tenor. Outplays any Keilwerth in my opinion.

Reply To Post

1. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

20 years ago

yea ill give you that one golfer, the yamaha does outplay the keilwerth, i wouldnt go as far as sayin it outplays the sx-90r, but it easily outdoes the ex and basic sx.. except when i tested out the saxes at chuck levins which is right around where i live here in MD, the yamaha was 1700, kielwerth was just under 15 and i got a really good deal with my yani and got it for around 1k even.. but the yamaha is def better than the kielwerth ex

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ