Saxophone Forum

by Ziggyiggy
(6 posts)
12 years ago

Bright Alto Sax sound

Hello,

I've been playing alto saxophone for a while now, and maybe its been going on for a long time, but i have recently been noticing that the notes F# and higher are really bright and shimmery. While i know this isnt a bad thing, I am playing Bozza aria, and its not the sound i am looking for. I have a Yamaha Yas23 student alto, with a yamaha 4C mouthpiece and 31/2 vandoren reed. Is there a way i can darken my sound with my embourchure(spelling?) or do i just need a new sax or mouthpiece overall? thank you!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

12 years ago

Re: Bright Alto Sax sound

It interesting that you say this is something that has recently developed. I'm wondering if perhaps its not just that your ears are getting more attuned to the sound you are looking for (in other words your becoming a better musician).

Given your set up, I would definitely recommend a new mouthpiece. I wouldn't go as far as saying a new horn without knowing more about your background, experience level, practice habbits, etc.... But for sure, a new mouthpiece would help your situation.

Most classical alto sax player today are using either a Selmer (S90, S80 or Larry Teal) or Vandoren Optimum (AL3 or AL4). However, there are other classical mouthpieces out there to try as well. BG has recently come out with a nice classical saxophone mouthpiece. Lomax mouthpieces also makes a good classical mouthpiece (http://www.lomaxclassic.com). You should definitely look towards a better classical mouthpiece asap.

As for the horn, I would wait to get a new one until you have settled into a good mouthpiece. This will be a huge help to you once you start play testing saxophones to know that your mouthpiece is not a limiting factor.

As for embrochure, take some lessons from someone who can make sure you've got everything set right. Bad habbits only get harder and harder to break the more you engrain them into your playing. Embrochure is critical and good equipment does nothing to improve poor technique.

Best of Luck!!!

Cheers,

Mark Overton

saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

12 years ago

Another mouthpiece to try would be a Selmer Soloist.  Also, looking into a new ligature once you choose a mouthpice would be worth  the investment.  BG makes some great ligatures.  The main thing to look for is how it contacts the reed.  By turning the screw, it should put direct pressure on the reed, unlike a cloth ligature (like most Rovners) that put pressure on the sides of the mouthpiece.

Reply To Post

2. by gloss1
    (27 posts)

12 years ago

Otto links are usually noted for stuffiness or a softer sound. Contact Dave Jary Custom Mouthpieces on the web. He is a real expert that deals a lot with many pro players. Dave is a super guy to work with. You guys will have great conversation i am sure. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

3. by Kattamaki
    (15 posts)

12 years ago

If you really are looking for a warm sound like the inventor intended, then you could try out the Sigurd Rascher Mouthpiece. He was on of the pioneers of classical sax, playing already in the 1930s.

Cheers, Kattamaki 

Reply To Post