Saxophone Forum

by ewh1995
(2 posts)
12 years ago

Problems with High G and Lower Register Notes

Hi. I have been playing Alto Sax for 5 years on this horn, and now I have developed a problem.

When I play a high G, I have a 50/50 chance of the horn squeaking really bad. It happens mostly when I am trying to play softly, and it really has become a pain. 

Also, the lower register notes (starting around low F) are difficult to play, with D and below almost impossible. I have tried playing on a friend's horn with my mouthpiece with no problems, so it's gotta be on my horn.

I play on a Yamaha Student sax (I can get the model if needed). My sister, a floutist, took a look at it and noticed that the screw holding the left palm keys was loose. Could that be the problem, or are these issues the doings of a leak or some other problem with my horn. I appreciate any help I can get.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

12 years ago

Re: Problems with High G and Lower Register Notes

Absolutely, sounds like a mechanical issue. Get it into a competent shop and have them take a look. If it played well before and now doesn't and the issue doesn't occur on other horns you play, then you've got a problem with your sax. The G issue could be an octave key regulation issue and lower notes may be a combination of regulation and just plain old pads leaking. Best of Luck!!

Cheers,

Mark Overton

saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by ewh1995
      (2 posts)

12 years ago

Re: Problems with High G and Lower Register Notes

I got a Senior in my section to take a look at it. At least one of the issues was my screw holding the left palm keys. I have yet to tell if it fixed the G, but the lower notes are fine now.

Also, I have another horn (Etude brand) that I used to use for home practice until it was damaged and my repairman refused to look at it because of the brand. Whenever I play a middle B through C sharp, tne horn seems to jump an octave. Is this caused by a problem with the octave key, or a leak? 

Reply To Post