Saxophone Forum

by nc896
(1 post)
12 years ago

Stripped Lacquer- How it was done?

I am a newbie in saxophone world  but eager to learn. I saw a completely "naked" Mark VI and wondered how it was done. Thanks in advance.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MartinMods
    (63 posts)

12 years ago

Re: Stripped Lacquer- How it was done?

I boiled a couple of Mk6 altos in a big pot of water once.  That works.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by cuber
    (653 posts)

12 years ago

There are a couple ways.  The traditional way is to rub it off, which removes some of the metal in the process, which is why relaqured saxophones are typically worth less, and sound different that original laquered sax's.  In the last few years, some people have started using a chemical method, which shouldn't remove metal.  I think Steven Howard mentions something about it on his site somewhere, but I couldn't tell you where.

Reply To Post

3. by gloss1
    (27 posts)

12 years ago

We have a place here that strips antique furniture and more in a dip bath that is heated. I took a wall hanger saxophone and removed all the keys to test it out. Came out very good with the engravings still sharp and clean. Just a thought but definitely stay away for sanding or buffing. Chemical strip is very good.

Reply To Post

1. by saxgourmet
      (127 posts)

12 years ago

go to an auto parts store and buy a can of "Aircraft" brand paint stripper.....get some rubber gloves while you're there......take the horn completely apart, remove all the pads, corks, felts, springs.....take all the keywork and guards off....spray the aerosol stripper liberally on all the parts, keeping in mind that if it will take the lacquer off it will also take your skin off...do this in a well ventilated area....agitate the foam with a small brush.....wait 30 minutes...rinse completely with cold running water....check to see if another application might be necessary, it often is.....repeat as needed.....take a very small amount of Flitz brand polish and apply to 000000 steel wool....go over the entire horn....rinse again and dry

STEVE GOODSON
      New Orleans
      www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

12 years ago

We use "Aircraft" paint stripper here as well in our shop. I like to buy it in the gallon jugs and then lather it on generously with a paint brush and let sit as opposed to using the aerosol version. You can then collect it back to reuse. But, none-the-less, "Aircraft" stripper is the best. Its nasty stuff so definitely use the gloves as Steve recommends and don't inhale too closely to the stuff. The vapor will burn your lungs and no amount of coughing will make it feel any better. Not to scare you off, but really do use this stuff with an attitude of respect. It costs about $40 for a gallon jug. Best of Luck!!

Cheers,

Mark Overton
             saxquest.com

Reply To Post