event info

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by CharlesSax
    (7 posts)

12 years ago

Re: NEW KEILWERTH FACEBOOK PAGE!!

Hey this is great! I had heard that Keilwerth had stopped making saxophones. I'm glad to hear they are still up and going.

Can anyone share their thoughts on the difference between a Shadow and an SX90R from a playing perspective? Also, I'm a pretty big guy and I've heard they fit larger hands really well. Is this true?

Is there any dealer in the Los Angeles area that would have these in stock? I also get back down to SF from time to time. I'm just getting back into playing after a 35 year rest from the horn and I'd like to try something different from my old Mark VI. I've heard the Keilwerths have some of the BIG Conn naked lady sound but with all of the improvements that come with a modern sax. It sounds very interesting to me!!! Thanks in advance!!

Reply To Post

1. by Julius Keilwerth
      (8 posts)

12 years ago

Hi!

The Shadow saxophone IS an SX90R - the specs and design are the same as the other finishes.  The thing that makes the Shadow different is that it is made of Nickel-Silver rather than brass.  This makes it much more responsive and "live", and helps toward a brighter sound.  The body is black nickel plated and the keys are silver plated.  The Shadow is great for a big, explosive sound with lots of resonance and presence. 

Yes, Keilwerth saxophones do fit well for larger hands.  They also come with adjustable palm keys that allow you to customize the fit exactly to your hand for optimum comfort and ease to play. 

I don't know off hand exactly who is stocking them in California, but if you would send an email to [email protected] I can send you contact info for our West Coast Rep who can help you.

Thanks for your email and support for Julius Keilwerth Saxophones!!

Reply To Post

1. by CharlesSax
        (7 posts)

12 years ago

Had the opportunity to play test a Shadow tenor earlier this week. What a great saxophone. It easily out played my old Mark VI. The tone was so unique. I'm looking for something that's great but a bit different. The Shadow offered a huge sound with a bit of a bark to it. I've never played another tenor that had this quality to the sound. There's an intangible to the sound that's difficult to describe, but you know it when you hear it! It seems like all the manufactures today are going for the Selmer core sound. Its good, but too much the same as everyone else for my taste. Kudos to Keilwerth for making a truly unique sounding tenor that plays out of this world good and looks cool to boot!

I've been in the woodshed putting 5-6 hours a day into saxophone for the past several months after taking a long hiatus (nearly 35 years). But when I was active I played a lot back in the day and its coming back quickly. Lots of long tones....... My first priority is sound, then response, then feel.

Anyway, I'm putting my money together to purchase a Shadow tenor later in the year. They're not cheap, but I wouldn't expexct it to be. Thanks Al for making this information available!

Reply To Post