Saxophone Forum

by habamom
(6 posts)
12 years ago

My mother's 1956 Buffet Crampon Alto Sax

Hello fellow saxophonists -

eh, who am I kidding, I haven't played in 20 years! That's where I want your opinions. Should I keep my mother's 1956 Buffet Crampon Alto Sax? She played it when it was new, I played it in the late 80s-early 90s. Since then it sits in storage. My son who is now 6 is showing some signs of musical inclination... but it will be a while before we know if he wants to play sax... don't know if this old one would even be a good one to start him on - maybe I should just buy/rent him something when the time comes? This one sure has character, though. And memories :). But I think I should probably just sell it to a good home and rent/buy for him if/when he shows interest in playing.

So, questions:
1. Should I keep it for possible future use by a beginner?
OR
2. If I sell it, is it worth $100? $300? more?
AND
3. Are there people out there who want an old sax like this? What for? Will someone play it? I'm sure the pads are all dried out.

Thanks for your time! 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by habamom
    (6 posts)

12 years ago

Re: My mother's 1956 Buffet Crampon Alto Sax

Oh yea, we are trying to clean out our house. We have too much stuff. This could easily go, right?

Also, I could use the $$ :). Another reason to sell? 

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
      (420 posts)

12 years ago

1956 would probably make it a Dynaction model. These are great saxophones and considered professional models. Don't sell it if there's any chance that your daughter may play saxophone in the future. You'll waste a lot of money renting and/or purchasing and you'll end up with a horn not half as good as the Buffet you currently have. What an advantage she would have starting on a great instrunment as opposed to the "throw away" saxophones that many music stores sell as "student" models today.

1950's French craftsmanship was extrordinary. Both Buffet and Selmer were coming into the top of their game with both saxophone and clarinet manufacturing!

The actual selling value of your sax today doesn't reflect how good it really is. You may get $1000-ish for it in "as is" condition to the right buyer (assuming that its in decent physical condition and original lacquer) and maybe $1500-$1700 fully overhauled. However, comparable new professional model saxophones today sell for $2500 and up. 

Don't let someone talk you into selling it cheap. These are great horns that play well in tune with modern keywork and have an excellent voice and response. Check out the attached 50's ad of Jackie McLean playing a Buffet Dynaction. Jackie was one of the giants of the jazz bebop era.

Cheers,
           Mark Overton
           www.saxquest.com
           www.saxophone.org

Reply To Post

1. by habamom
        (6 posts)

10 years ago

Hi Mark,

I just wanteds to stop by and tell you that my 10-year-old son, who has been playing piano for several years, is LOVING playing recorder (?! who loves to play a plastic instrument??) and so I am taking the ole saxophone to a couple of repair places in the next month or so to see what kind of work is needed to get it ready for next school year.

I am so thankful that I didn't sell it and I wanted to let you know that I appreciated your advice and the time you took to answer my questions. If you are interested I'll let you know how the repairs go and maybe even upload a picture :).

Thanks again!

Reply To Post

2. by habamom
      (6 posts)

12 years ago

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

12 years ago

If you need the bread and have to sell it quickly, give me a call. I could help you sell it as a consignment through Saxquest or we could talk about an out-right purchase. Store phone is (314) 664-1234.

Cheers,

Mark Overton
             www.saxquest.com
             www.saxophone.org

Reply To Post

1. by habamom
          (6 posts)

12 years ago

Mark -
          Thank you so much for your message! It was very encouraging... I was thinking about selling it for as little as $100 so you can see I was very ignorant of it's value!

It has the original lacquer, although it seems to be rubbed off on the front of the bell. I think it was re-padded before I used it (in the 80s). Maybe I will send you some pix at the saxquest site. 

I would love to give my son a chance to play this horn - I suppose I've kept it for this long, saving it another 6-8 years isn't that long comparatively. I will definitely be weighing the options! Thanks again!

Reply To Post

2. by drcrocker
        (1 post)

10 years ago

With the pads dried out not sure whst its worth but I sm looking for a horn for decoration architecture.   I would recommend that you rent a student horn for your son before investing the money in repad this horn ciuld be expensive due to the sizes being difficult to find and discontinued.  If interestedin selling please call2403464472

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
          (842 posts)

10 years ago

That bit about the pad "sizes being discontinued" is nonsense.  Look for your decoration somewhere else.

Reply To Post

3. by GFC
        (842 posts)

10 years ago

Keep it.  That's a good horn and they're not very common.  Its potential worth is well over $1000.  If your son ever gets serious about playing saxophone, he'll appreciate it.

Reply To Post

1. by habamom
          (6 posts)

10 years ago

Hi GFC and Mark,

I just wanteds to stop by and tell you that my 10-year-old son, who has been playing piano for several years, is LOVING playing recorder (?! who loves to play a plastic instrument??) and so I am taking the ole saxophone to a couple of repair places in the next month or so to see what kind of work is needed to get it ready for next school year.

I am so thankful that I didn't sell it and I wanted you both to know that I appreciated your advice and the time you took to answer my questions. If you are interested I'll let you know how the repairs go and maybe even upload a picture :).

Thanks again!

Reply To Post