Saxophone Forum

by rgz
(3 posts)
12 years ago

Articulation

I am a new student to the saxophone (but an old guy).  In trying the tongue technique I find that I am making a sound when I touch my tongue on the reed.  It sounds like "do, do do".

How do I use this technique without a sound when I use my tongue?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

12 years ago

Re: Articulation

This is an old excercise that is really good for learning proper tougne position for certain types of articulation. You want to mimic that same touge position releasing from the front upper part of the roof of the mouth when articulating on the reed. If you are doing this and actually making the "do do do" sound, then you're engaging your vocal cords. You want to mimic the muscle movement when you release the reed from your tongue but without the vocalization. 

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by rgz
      (3 posts)

12 years ago

Re: Articulation

Thank you very much for the tip.  Tried it last night and it does help.  Still getting a sound when I take the tongue away from the reed.  I assume that this is caused by the tongue touching the reed.  Seems to be worse the longer I play, so I assume it relates to the reed being moist  and that I need to just lightly touch the reed with a small part of the tongue.  I was thinking more of taking the tongue away to make a note which seemed to help a little.

Thanks again.  

Reply To Post