Saxophone Forum

by shibaji
(4 posts)
20 years ago

Learning Sax

Dear all I am totally new to sax world and want to learn soprano. Can anyone suggest me how to start? I mean what brand/model I shall buy for learning? Also it will be great if you can you give me a comparison of the 4 kinds of saxes and which one is easier to play. Regards Sib

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dabino
    (9 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Learning Sax

Hi shibaji I'm new to this site as well and I was wondering if you new anything about those helmke soorano saxs being sold on ebay?

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

I would recommend you NOT start on soprano. It is the hardest to play, though it is smallest of the common SATB. I recommend an alto or tenor to start depending on your age and aspirations. Buy a good used horn to start with - a Yamaha YAS-23, Selmer Bundy II or Conn are good starter horns that can take you quite far on your journey. Avoid eBay horns unless the seller guarantees that it plays top to bottom and offers a refund if you're not happy with it.

Reply To Post

1. by shibaji
      (4 posts)

20 years ago

It's great to hear from you and thanks a lot for your quick response. Let me introduce myself: I am a software engineer (in Wipro Ltd. India), as well as practising music for about 20 years. Now I am 24 in age and I am passionate to learn sax (whatever... if soprano is tough then tenor/alto, as u have suggested). Till date I have learned Indian and a western classical on Violine. Besides I play keyboards, Indian flute etc. Now one problem for me is, spending a thousand dollar is pretty difficult for me, as I have found the Yamaha/ Selmar saxes to be costing more than $1000-2000. But I know that some used saxes can be found under $200. You are experienced in this field, so I guess you can help me to find out sax like that. Just now I have seen on CONN alto at eBay(I am forwading you that page), please have a look and let me know whether it will be good or not. Also I think you are professionally involved in this field, it will great if you can give me information about any used sax, whenever any comes in your knoledge, which and I can buy...I can afford upto $200. And what's about German saxes? Reply me whenever you get some time. Don't mind for I am depending too much on you as I know almost nothing about saxes.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

My apologies. I think I may have deleted your email as it was in my spam folder. Please send me another email and we can discuss your options. Quickly, buying a horn for $200 is a gamble. Some are playable, but most are in need of some amount of adjustment, which can be everything from minor action issues to a whole repad with major dent removal. Beware any advertisement for "German" or "French engineered" horns. The quality on those horns is suspect and they are generally made of inferior materials in China. You are better off with a quality used horn than a shiny new inferior one. The saxophones that are actually manufactured in Germany these days are of good to great quality, but they are also out of your price range. And as a disclaimer, I'm not technically an instrument professional - I am a mechanical engineer (which is actually a great background for understanding saxophones). Saxophones are simply a passionate hobby of mine. I play them and I refurbish them in my spare time. I'd be happy to review any listings you are interested in, but it is impossible to say whether an eBay instrument (or an instrument from any other source for that matter) is playable or not without looking at it in your own hands and playing it first. I do sell horns on occasion and will have some available very soon, but as I only sell horns that are guaranteed to be in playable condition, I don't ever have anything for $200 as it takes time and materials to get an instrument in working order.

Reply To Post

2. by veghmb
      (6 posts)

20 years ago

I agree with maniac about the Yamaha YAS-23 as being a good horn for beginner. Many professionals who try a 23 years later are impressed by how great they sound. I don't like the Selmer Bundy horns however. I first started on a Bundy tenor and it needed repair nearly every week. The Yamaha 23 is a great sax that you can often find in good condition at pawn shops for less than $400. It would be good choice.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

I played my Bundy II for over 20 years before deciding to buy a new horn and that was only because it's butt ugly (been through hell and back) and I wanted a horn that looked a little more professional. Still plays like a dream. I didn't have the frequent repair problems you're talking about, however. I love how the YAS-23 allows me to develop my own sound with reed/mouthpiece selection. Kind of a clean state to paint on. To each their own, right?

Reply To Post

1. by shibaji
          (4 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks Ed and Blackwolf42 for your replies. Due to lots of work pressure I could not reply. Any way, Ed, I will be glad to know your sax prises. Otherwise according to the advice you both have given me I shall buy one Yamaha Alto. But before that, Ed, kindly show me one list of your collection of saxes and prices as well.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

20 years ago

The list is rather short at this point. Only 2 ready to go with 13 waiting for attention. There's a vintage Conn alto ready to go that would cost $500 + shipping and a Bundy alto almost ready that would cost $350 + shipping. I don't sell things in need of regulation or pads to be playable, so you would not have to be concerned with having it repaired once you receive it. The other horns in the queue are a mix of altos, tenors, and a bari. Some may be ready within a week or two, some not for at least a month. Send me an email and I can keep you apprised of what's available until the website is up and running.

Reply To Post

2. by shibaji
            (4 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks a lot Ed, I shall reply you asap...I am leaving for my home taking leave. after I come back from home I will reply using my official email address.

Reply To Post