Saxophone Forum

by Headhunter
(4 posts)
11 years ago

Buy a Tenor Sax

Hi all:

I am a bit new here and have a question.

I am a clarinet player who played tenor long ago. I am looking for a tenor sax. It seems I can get some new ones for about $800.00 that are made in China but I would rather pick up a used Selmer.

I would like something that sounds good and has some history. How much would I have to pay for a Selmer? Any thoughts?

I am open to other brands but I simply am not sure.

Also. can anyone recommend a mouthpiece for me to use to get back into it? My thanks to you all!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cuber
    (653 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Buy a Tenor Sax

I would suggest looking for a used Yamaha 23.  You should be able to find one for fairly cheap if you look around a bit.  Of the student line horns, Yamahas are generally considered to be the best.

For a mouthpiece, what type of music do you plan on playing?

Reply To Post

1. by Headhunter
      (4 posts)

11 years ago

Cuber my friend, I thank you. I will look into that instrument and see what is out there.

Its funny, as a kid, I used to play a friends new Mark 6 and had no idea of the value and the level of instrument I had.

Thanks again for your response! 

Best,

Howard 

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
        (653 posts)

11 years ago

What type of playing are you going to do, and what is your budget for a mouthpiece?

If you are still in touch with your friend and he is willing to sell the mkVI cheap, that would be a really good option.

Reply To Post

1. by Headhunter
          (4 posts)

11 years ago

I am going to play show tunes , pop classics and a bit of jazz as I get the feel for it again.

Mouthpiece? Perhaps $200.00? 

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
          (842 posts)

11 years ago

If you're just starting out on tenor you don't need to spend that kind of money on a mouthpiece.  The main thing you want is one that doesn't get in the way of your development as a player.  Reading reviews of sub-$50 mouthpieces on the WWBW website is a good place to start for getting an idea of what you want.  Once you really decide what you want from a mouthpiece, dumping a $20 - $50 investment hurts a lot less than dumping a $200 investment.

Reply To Post

3. by Headhunter
          (4 posts)

11 years ago

Ahhh, that makes sense.

I thank you for your time!

Howard 

Reply To Post