Saxophone Forum

by NewKid
(3 posts)
11 years ago

Buescher Alto Saxophone

Hey Guys,
         Listen, I recently bought an alto saxophone from a repair guy. It is a Buescher and its serial # is 345696--according to the seller. It was a BUEA140-Used Buescher Aristocrat model 140 Alto Sax SN 345696. He charged me 600 for the saxophone and 350 for the mechanical overhaul. It came with the neck but no other accessories. I attached a picture, but please note that the lighting makes it look cleaner than it is. It has the original laquer so imagine what it may look like. 

The seller has an actual website and place where he shows all the projects he's worked on. I haven't been able to try the alto sax out because I dont have a mouthpiece yet. 
Im just curious as to whether you think I got a good deal or was jerked?
He says because of the age the sax is an expensive vintage piece.
It is said to be an original Beucher Aritocrat Elkhart-IND, not a copy or stencil or anything cheap.

The sax has a lot of spots on it and scratches too. Let me know what you think of its worth ($$$) and if any advice for maintaining it and also finding a good mouthpiece for cheap.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Buescher Alto Saxophone

Looks like a fair deal.  The serial number dates that horn as a 1951 horn, a couple of years after the Big B era.  Your horn is not as highly sought-after as the Big B and earlier Aristocrats, and consequently has less market value, but it is still a good horn in its own right.  The Aristocrat line was downgraded to student horns a few years after yours was made.  Play on and don't worry.

Reply To Post

1. by NewKid
      (3 posts)

11 years ago

Thank you, I really appreciate it.
      How much would you estimate it being worth given its vintage date? 

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

11 years ago

http://saxgourmet.com/VINTAGE_SAXOPHONE_VALUE_GUIDE.htm

Figure a little over half the value of a Big B alto.  You're right in the ballpark.  But the most important "worth" is what you get out of playing it.

Reply To Post