Saxophone Forum

by imspencer
(6 posts)
11 years ago

1928 Chu Berry Tenor

I'm in talks with the guy selling a 1928 Chu Berry tenor #186xxx and was wondering if $750 is reasonable. It's had some soldering and relaquering done, but he says it plays well and the pads seem fine. Here's a link. Any advice on this horn in general would be appreciated. I know I've started a few threads recently and I hope it hasn't been too annoying. The wisdom is appreciated. Here's a link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251188911460?ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1427.l2649 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by imspencer
    (6 posts)

11 years ago

Re: 1928 Chu Berry Tenor

Actually that would make it a 1927 I guess. And, yes, Chu played a transitional not a New Wonder II.

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

Re: 1928 Chu Berry Tenor

It looks like a deal at $750.  The price reflects the fact that it is a relacquer, which makes the horn less valuable than an original finish horn.  Buffing during a relacquer has potential to damage tonehole rims and mechanical clearances in keywork.  That said, the horn does not appear to be excessively buffed - the fine lines in the bell design are still distinct.  I did not detect anomalies on the tone hole rims that would suggest major buffing damage in the photos.  The horn does not show evidence of major dent work.  If tonehole work is required it would be expensive because of the rolled tone holes (a job for someone experienced with old Conns), but still reasonable in terms of market value if the purchase price is $750.  It might be worthwhile asking the seller about recent maintenance work and if the true of the tone holes has been ascertained. 

The Chu keywork might take some getting used to, but they're great sounding horns.  Lester Young's horn on all those classic Basie recordings was a Chu.

Reply To Post