Saxophone Forum

by [email protected]
(3 posts)
11 years ago

1924 Buescher Low-Pitch True Tone Saprano Sax

What do you all think of this? I have an offer of $425 for my Buescher Saprano Sax. It's fully playable with new pads and the original case and mouthpiece cover.  It's beyond my abilities to make it sound good, too bad! Is this a fair price. It is going to a good sax player.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

Re: 1924 Buescher Low-Pitch True Tone Saprano Sax

For a Bb horn, that's definitely a lowball offer. True Tone sopranos are sought after because they have a reputation for better intonation than other sopranos of the same era.  It seems in top condition.  The only drawback is that the left hand cluster is primitive compared to later True Tones, so its value could be somewhat diminished.  My guesstimate for its value would be in the neighborhood of $1500 if it's keyed in Bb.

If it's keyed in C, the value is more problematic.  Top value for a C soprano with the original mouthpiece is around $1000 and significantly less if it does not have the original mouthpiece.  If you have a C soprano, you might want to verify that the intonation is acceptable with a tuner.  That can be done either by you or somebody whose abilities you are more confident in. 

http://saxgourmet.com/VINTAGE_SAXOPHONE_VALUE_GUIDE.htm

Reply To Post

2. by [email protected]
    (3 posts)

11 years ago

The serial number is 159885. and I hvae always thought it was a C Saparano. The mouth piece has no brand mark on it, just the faded outstreched wings of a large bird. The case and mouth piece cover and in fine condition. She plays sweetly. I have a tuner. How do I see if she is really a c saprano? thank you very much for your comments.

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
      (842 posts)

11 years ago

Play a concert C and if your tuner registers a C it it keyed to C.  If you get Bb, it's keyed to Bb.

Reply To Post