Saxophone Forum

by bboyinmartin
(4 posts)
11 years ago

How to become a intermediate-professional saxophonist

Hi, I'm currenlty in highschool, and I've been playing baritone sax & alto sax 
for around 3 to 4 years.

I'm one of the best saxophone players in the school and may be the distrcit too.

I've almost mastered all the fingerings, and have an okay-decent tone.

But the thing is, I want to be the best in the whole state but I just don't know
what to do anymore. What should I practice and are there any competitions or
something that I can get awards from, in San Jose CA? 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

11 years ago

Re: How to become a intermediate-professional saxophonist

Continue to challenge yourself. Practice for the love of playing and for the desire to get better. Set goals and work hard to achieve them. Don't get caught up in the game of needing awards or competitions to feel good about your playing.

My suggestion would be to find a few of the top level professionals in your area and ask them if they would be willing to teach a highly motivated student who loves the saxophone. Even if its just a couple lessons, a good professional can throw a lot of stuff at you that will keep you busy for a long time.

Its difficult to give advise on what you should practice without knowing what you've been working on and where you are in your development on the instrument. One recommendation if you don't already have it is the 1963 Larry Teal book, "The Art of Saxophone Playing". Although saxophone pedagogy has progressed since this book was written, there's nothing in it that's out of date. Taking the time to give serious study to this book will certainly be a boost towards getting to the next level.

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

11 years ago

Re: How to become a intermediate-professional saxophonist

As usual Mark, great advice!!

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM