Saxophone Forum

by spencera
(5 posts)
11 years ago

don't know what sax mouthpiece would be right for me...

I've been playing a tenor yamaha for a short while,  I use No# 2 reeds and at present Im playing with the mouthpiece that came with the horn.. This mouthpiece is plastic with an opening of about one inch and a half long x one half inch wide... I would like to buy a new mouthpiece in something of the same size I have but above and a little better than the plastic mouthpiece I have... Louisiana cajun needs help... Spencera

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

Re: don't know what sax mouthpiece would be right for me...

The first question is, what are you trying to achieve with your sound? Can you move it in the direction you want to go by developing your embouchure and breath support more and working up to stronger reeds? Think about mouthpieces once you're convinced that your breathing and embouchure are the best they can be. Trying to overcome technique issues by buying mouthpieces is a trap too many players fall into. When the time comes, stick with basic open chamber, low baffle designs with a tip opening around the .090" - .100" range. Trick features are great for certain things, but they don't really help players develop their own sound. And remember, the stronger your technique is the better options you will have.

Reply To Post

1. by spencera
      (5 posts)

11 years ago

Re: don't know what sax mouthpiece would be right for me...

Thanks so much for your reply...I will do what you have subjested,  and again thanks for your advice...  Spencer

Reply To Post