Saxophone Forum

by Mrs.J
(2 posts)
11 years ago

Conn Alto Sax

Hello I am trying to find out some more information on a Conn Alto Sax that used to be my grandmother's and was passed onto me. I actually leaned on this Sax and used it throughout Middle and High school, even marched with it. Being on the smaller side I fondly remember how heavy it was to march with compared to other students. But my band director loved the sound that it made over the others.

I have found out some information on line and believe it to possibly be a New Wonder Transitional going off the the serial number and split bell keys, but would like to know for sure. The year would be correct as I said it was my grandmothers and I am 39. The bell seems to have a little more engraving than photos I have seen of the above mentioned model though.

I have attached a photo of the bell and a photo of the serial number (M235939) and of the Sax itself. If I could get some help confirming the year and type that would be great. I am not looking to sell this, but am curious of what I have and what it might be worth.

Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxgourmet
    (127 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Conn Alto Sax

see our value guide at www.saxgourmet.com     be SURE to read the preface and adjust accordingly

STEVE GOODSON
    New Orleans
    www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

The serial # is lower than the range generally associated with transitional horns, but the raised RH F key identifies it as a very early transitional. All other visible features resemble a New Wonder II "Chu Berry" horn. There is a group of fanatics dedicated to seeking Conn trannies.

Reply To Post

1. by Mrs.J
      (2 posts)

11 years ago

Thank you both. I have always wondered what I have. Like I said I do not plan to sell it. I have two daughters and one of them may want to play it someday.

Reply To Post

3. by cycles
    (42 posts)

11 years ago

Hi
    The serial no. Puts this conn NW11 ie. New Wonder 11 1928/29 
    PS. But I suppose it depends on which table you find on the web. 

Reply To Post