Saxophone Forum

by mega band geek
(60 posts)
19 years ago

Neck troubles.

I just rented a bass sax from my local community collage. I brought it home and gave it a test run. When I was done practicing, I went to put the horn away and discovered that the neck would not budge. I took the screw out, but it still didn't move. I didn't pull it too hard because I didn't want to bend anything. Any suggestions on how I could get it un-stuck? Or should I just take it to my local repair tech? Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Neck troubles.

hmmmm you "could" heat up the joint with a candle or lighter... that may work. (hot water would too, but I think a more pinpoint heat source would be better) or take a little oil and let it sink in around the joint. ok, I'm out of ideas....

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

19 years ago

I'm having comedic visions of someone first applying penetrating oil or key oil and then heating it up with a minitorch. "POOF!" Ice the neck, heat the receiver. Brass has a considerable thermal expansion coefficient. If that doesn't work, try the oil.

Reply To Post

2. by mega band geek
    (60 posts)

19 years ago

When I got home from school today I played it for about 30 minutes I guess moisture in the neck loosened it up enough to come off. What can I do to prevent it from getting stuck again?

Reply To Post AIM

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

19 years ago

Maybe put a little cork grease in the receiver before inserting the neck. Not too much. Just a thin film should do the trick. Turn it from side to side when you first put it in there to distribute it. Don't tighten the screw any more than necessary.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

19 years ago

The problem is that crud is building up on the tennon and in the receiver. the cork grease thing is fine for on the spot panics, but it will only make the problem worse over time. Get some parrafin and melt it - dip the tennon in it and let it cool, then stick it in the receiver and work it around an the parafin will pick all the crud up and come out on the tennon - just wipe it off real good, then heat it up to get all the wax off.

Reply To Post