Saxophone Forum

by [email protected]
(3 posts)
11 years ago

Conn Alto Sax

Hi,

I have an early 1960's Conn Saxophone with the star burst pattern.  It is gold and silver colored metal.

The number at the back of the thumb rest is 787096.

Can anyone tell me an approximate value of this sax and what would be a reasonable price to get it refurbished so someone could play it...the pads, actually still look new...but I'm not an expert.

Thanks - appreciate any help.       

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by birdlover
    (43 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Conn Alto Sax

Take it into a tech and get a quote. Sometimes the amount of work is worth more than the horn so it really depends on the condition of the sax. If you bought it at a low price it might be worth having work done on it. As far as what the value is it is less than the vintage Conns from the 30's through the 40's.

Reply To Post

1. by [email protected]
      (3 posts)

11 years ago

Thanks - it's getting checked out now...to buy a new one would be pretty expensive...

Reply To Post

1. by birdlover
        (43 posts)

11 years ago

Yup, new horns can put quite a dent in your bank account, hopefully all it needs is a little tweaking if the pads are good and sealing right. A total repad can run anywhere from 750 bucks and on up. I tried a tenor shooting star in a shop and thought it played very nicely.

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
      (842 posts)

11 years ago

It could be worth a few hundred in top condition. It's a good student horn.

Reply To Post

1. by [email protected]
        (3 posts)

11 years ago

I took it to be checked out - to buy a new one would be expensive...he said it was pretty nice.

thanks!

Reply To Post