Saxophone Forum

by wongsoon
(5 posts)
11 years ago

Is used studen alto saxophone from ebay better than my new one

Hi Guys I new in this forum and also in saxoophone, due to limited budget I get brand new China alto saxophne last December brand "Global" and I like it.
I plan to has better MP for better sound with in next month.
The problem is my daughter has an opportunity to visit USA and II look in
ebay.com and found that used studen in price below 400 $ is cheaper than place I live now.

So now it's come to my mind that is it better for me to order used alto saaxophone with in 300-400 $ and sold out my present one.

• Will it be better than my present new saxophone ?
  • If it better than what brand will you suggest ?

regard

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Is used studen alto saxophone from ebay better than my new one

Whether or not you should keep your current horn depends strictly on how well it works for you.  You say you like it, so it seems that no problems have made themselves evident at your level of playing.  But there are some quality control issues that are known to affect inexpensive Chinese saxophones regarding playing in tune, key fitting, alignment, correctly formed tone holes, durability, and so forth.  I'm not saying that your horn has those problems, but you should have it inspected and play tested by a tech to see if there are any latent problems related to its build quality and playability.  If there are, consider some good used student horns that are frequently on the market in your price range:

Martin Indiana

Buescher Aristocrat

Selmer Bundy I (with the left side bell keys)  Do not get a Bundy II (right side bell keys).

American made Conn Director "shooting star"  Consider only the ones with "Elkhart, Indiana" or "USA" engraved on the bell.  Avoid the ones made in Mexico.

Conn Pan American

All of those horns have older style keywork.  If you want more modern keywork the Yamaha YAS-23 is a good option.  They tend to cost a little more.

Consider only horns that are in good condition.  If a student horn is in need of significant repairs, it could exceed the value of the horn.  The buyer's guide on this site contains lots of useful tips for avoiding bad deals in used horns.

If it turns out that your new horn is worth keeping, save your money for the day when you get the horn you will truly want as a more advanced player.

Reply To Post

1. by wongsoon
      (5 posts)

11 years ago

Thanks Guy it help me a lot for your answer 

One more last question

What is the differnt between old style keywork and modle keywork  ?

I try to serach in google.com but unlucky I cold not find it .

Thanks in advance 

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

11 years ago

The biggest difference is the placement of the bell keys on the right side of the bell on modern horns.  Older keywork is simpler, and very simple on older student horns.

Reply To Post

1. by wongsoon
          (5 posts)

11 years ago

Thank Guy 

Reply To Post