Saxophone Forum

by Sax Amateur
(3 posts)
11 years ago

Buffet Crampon vs Yamaha Tenor Sax

Hello!

I have intention to buy a tenor sax for local marching band with limited budget (1200€).

I have few options:

Yamaha YTS-275

Buffet Crampon BC8102 Serie 100

Buffet Crampon BC8402 Serie 400

I know Yamaha is good, reliable and quality, but about Buffet Crampon i don't know anything except it's cheaper. Does anybody have experiance with this models and what is better choice?

Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Buffet Crampon vs Yamaha Tenor Sax

The YTS-275 and BC 400 are  student/intermediate horns.  The 400 gets some good press:  http://jazztimes.com/articles/18710-buffet-crampon-400-series-alto-sax

If you're buying new, you can't go too far wrong with either.  They're both well-made Asian horns.  Be careful about used 275s.  Early ones had problems with the glue joint at the bell coming loose, resulting in misalignment and leaks.  Know the age and repair history of any 275 you're looking at.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Amateur
      (3 posts)

11 years ago

This article is about Alto 400 series and i'm looking for Tenor. But i can see, guy is satisfied with whole 400 series.

I look for new instruments, not used, so i assume that problems with glue on Yamaha won't be a problem to me (am i right?). New instrument probably doesn't have that problem.

One more question. BC serie 100? anything.

I appreciate your effort. Thank you very much!

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

11 years ago

It was apparently a problem when they applied glue over the lacquer on the earlier horns.  The problem was brought to Yamaha's attention and they corrected it.

BC serie 100 is a beginner model. 

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Amateur
          (3 posts)

11 years ago

Ok! Thank you!

Reply To Post