Saxophone Forum

by savio
(8 posts)
11 years ago

Yamaha YTS-62 Purple Logo

Hi all,

I'm new here and I need some help. I'm buying a Yamaha Tenor 62 Purple Logo but I am worried because I don't know the year of manufacture and if it is a really  vintage instrument. Also, the serial number begins "0" and, according with the article below, it is not a professional instrument. Can you help me with these questions? I should buy it? It's a good idea buy a "Purple Logo" or is better wait for a new one 62 model?

Thanks a lot,

Savio

There are three basic rules to follow when looking at the rest of the Yamaha model number:

1) The First Number is the Most Important – the higher the first number, the higher the grade of the instrument.  Generally professional models start with 6, 7, 8 or 9 (or even a letter like CSV), intermediate models will start with 4 or 5 and student instruments start with 2 or 3.  There are of course exceptions, but the higher the first number, the higher the grade.

2) Every Number Means Something (usually).  The interior numbers will reference things like bore sizes, key styles, scale design, pitch center and construction differences.

3) The Letters Tell You a Lot – like whether the instrument is silver plated, or what type of bell material is used.  Certain options will also be listed with a suffix letter.  One of the most interesting ones is for flutes, whether or not the instrument has a “B-footjoint”.  We use the letter “H” for that one.

So next time you spot that crazy Yamaha saxophone on eBay – you can probably figure out what it is a bit easier.  As for serial numbers, alas, there is no such published list of Yamaha serial numbers.  But we’re happy to look them up for you assuming the instrument was originally sold in the United States.  Just drop us a note to bandandorchestra[at]yamaha[dot]com.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Yamaha YTS-62 Purple Logo

The YTS-62 is one of Yamaha's professional models.  The article is about model numbers, not serial numbers.  The model was introduced in 1980. and has always had a bright  "modern" sound that you either like or you don't.  In that regard, there's no such thing as a "vintage" 62. The purple logo ones were sold before 2000.  

Reply To Post

1. by savio
      (8 posts)

11 years ago

The serial number is 010434 and "YAMAHA" written above (no "Made in Japan" anywhere"). It was made in japan or not? If not, it's correct to say all the purple logo was not made in japan? And it would more cheaper because that? Any info on what these mean would be helpful. 

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

11 years ago

They are excellent quality Japanese made horns.

Reply To Post

1. by savio
          (8 posts)

11 years ago

...but I saw the text below in a forum and I was worried. Is it true? See:

"Some Yamaha instruments were/are made here in the USA. Hence the no "Made in Japan".
          Until a few years a go there was a Yamaha 'factory' here in Michigan."

Reply To Post

2. by tirambaby77
        (7 posts)

10 years ago

Hello
        i felt so much interested on your profile meanwhile my name is miss Tiram i would like you to contact me on my email id ([email protected]) so that we can get to know each other and also send me your pics. Thanks and hope to hear from you. Tiram

[email protected]

Reply To Post

3. by Loeki
        (2 posts)

7 years ago

Hi there,

I am looking to buy a Yamaha YTS Logo P vintage from the 80,s, has a serial number 007430 and no purple logo.

Is this OK ? and what would this saxophone be worth ?, good condition, revised by Luthier in Madrid.

Can anybody tell me something about these informations, THX

Reply To Post