Saxophone Forum

by pozzilive
(1 post)
11 years ago

Interesting Saxophone

I have played and collected saxophones since I was a kid. With my family being in the auction buisness I have found some really nice horns over the years. I found this one last week and I cannot figure out what it is. All of the keys are really rough like they were all hand made. No markings no numbers. Never seen one like this so I figured I would put it out here so someone might be able to shed some light on this horn. Any help would be great!
Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Interesting Saxophone

This is one of the current production SSO (Sax shaped objects) coming out of India, and sold primarily on eBay. They are pitiful "instruments" designed really for display rather than approaching a legitimate, playable saxophone.

It would appear that the original inspiration for these was one of the early Adolph Sax designs, as they are approximations of such extant instruments in very general layout if nothing else. The key word being "Approximation" mind you.

These can be had for thirty or fourty dollars and less, new.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

11 years ago

Although there are a few makers of these in India and Sialkot Pakistan with some variation on the same design, here is one such vendor's version with many similarities to your example:

http://www.musichub.co/veiw-details.php?s_id=288

As I said, eBay is usually chock filled with listings for these.

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

11 years ago

Yes, this thing is a real dud to be sure. Its amazing that they would bother to put a double octave mechanism on it and not put a low Bb key.

Cheers,
             Mark Overton

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

11 years ago

Exactly. Those are some of the traits that I was speaking of referencing that they were copying details (rather poorly granted) off of A. Sax originals i.e. range to low B and double octave key mechanism etc.

Reply To Post