Saxophone Forum

by classicmark
(1 post)
11 years ago

"BRAND NEW" 1967 Selmer Paris Mark VI Tenor

Hi - I graduated high school in 1968 and the school took back the Bundy tenor I had been using. So I bought a brand new Selmer Mark VI tenor at Pastore Music in Union City, NJ and have not touched it since. Serial number indicates a 1967 build date. This saxophone is unplayed, still in a plastic bag inside the original case. The case has been opened maybe 4 or 5 times, but not a note has been played on the horn. At age 62, I doubt if I'll be picking it up any time soon, so I'm starting to think about letting it go. Any idea what a horn like this is worth? I assume that the pads will need replacement, due to their age, but aside from that the tenor is absolutely PERFECT. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

11 years ago

Re: "BRAND NEW" 1967 Selmer Paris Mark VI Tenor

This is the sort of time capsule "closet" horn that collectors lust over. Although these later MKVI horns aren't quite as valuable as the 1950's and early 60's models in general. Many suggest that the later ones are brighter in over all sound, although MKVIs can vary quite a bit from one horn to the next off the assembly line within the same approximate manufacture date as much or more than the different eras in which they were made.

Good photos of the entire horn and case etc., front and back, including markings will be needed if you want an accurate monetary "approximation". Of course the horn's reported remarkable state of preservation is going to fetch more than the equivalent MKVI in used condition.

Reply To Post

2. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

11 years ago

I've played some tenors from 1967 that were absolutely fantastic. If its "new old stock" it will fetch a top dollar price. You're correct in that it will need pads if the ultimate goal for the buyer is to play it and that would factor into the selling price. But, it won't factor in as heavily as the mint horns bring a premium regardless of pads.

I would be happy to help you appraise your saxophone. I've been a music instrument appraiser for Antiques Road Show/Trash for Treasure events in the St. Louis area for several years and I own Saxquest, a business that specializes in vintage and professional saxophones. Give us a call on Monday if you're interested in talking more (314) 664-1234.

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

3. by syracusebill
    (1 post)

10 years ago

11-21-13 Th.

Hello, is your Selmer Mark VI Tenor  Saxophone still for sale?

Please write me at [email protected]

Sincerely,

Bill

Reply To Post