Saxophone Forum

by Kirkwood
(6 posts)
11 years ago

Selmer Alto Balanced Action or Super Balanced Transitional Horn?

I have had a lady bring in an old Selmer Paris alto that is in great condition overall, an attic find that belonged to her father.  The serial is telling me it is a Balanced Action but the features are mostly telling me it is a Super Balanced Action.  Since it falls right at the end of the Balanced Action serials, I am wondering if maybe the chart is off a bit.

Serial #33563 on body above the D# and matching on the neck.  The upper stack tone holes are offset from the lower stack so I am assuming this is a SBA body.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Selmer Alto Balanced Action or Super Balanced Transitional Horn?

This is definitely an SBA alto. There wasn't a transitional model in the alto run between the BA and the SBA. The earliest SBA alto that I've seen was 33126 and the latest BA was 32957 so the switch happened right at about 33000 for altos. The tenor followed with the switch right at about 34xxx. 

Most serial number charts just show you numbers by years and place the instrument models conveniently at the end of whatever year was closest. If you look at the serial number chart on this web site, you'll see that there was overlap between when the BA ended and when the SBA started. This is to account for the fact that the switch between models didn't always happen to correspond with the end of the year.

This alto you show looks like a great horn. If you're prepping it for your customer to sell, please let us know. It hard to tell from the photos if its original or if its a really good factory relacquer. Either way, great horn. Thanks for sharing

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by Kirkwood
      (6 posts)

11 years ago

Thanks for the info on the serial number overlap.  As far as I can tell, it is original lacquer.  It sat in their attic most of its life. 

When it came in, it had a couple bent keys and a broken G# spring.  She didn't ask me to do any work on it but I couldn't resist doing a couple minor adjustments so I could hear it sing.  It sounds amazing.  The pads are ancient.  They look like cylindrical discs as opposed to standard leather/wool pads.  I don't know what Selmer used when padding them but they look like they could be originals.  As you can see from the picture of the bell keys, there are no resonators.

Her only interest is in selling it and all it needs are some minor adjustments, the G# spring and a new neck cork.  I think she shoud leave it as original as possible.  I probably could have gotten it for next to nothing as she didn't think it was worth anything but then I couldn't have slept at night.

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

11 years ago

Yes, always best to offer a fair price so everyone can sleep well at night. Please give me a buzz at Saxquest (314) 664-1234. I would love to have an opportunity to buy this sax if it is indeed in the original lacquer. We always offer fair pricing for vintage saxophones at Saxquest but I would need to talk to you before I can assess pricing.

Cheers,
             Mark Overton
             www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by Kirkwood
          (6 posts)

11 years ago

I will try to give you a call in another day or two.  I am doing end of the year school repair quotes and have been swamped. 

Reply To Post

2. by Kirkwood
          (6 posts)

11 years ago

Realized I hadn't taken a whole body shot or the case.  Here they are.

Reply To Post

3. by Saxquest
          (420 posts)

11 years ago

Thanks for the photos, that helps! With the original warranty card and original case in beautiful condition, its almost certain to be in original lacquer. Feel free to call anytime. I would love to work with you on this instrument.

Cheers,
               Mark Overton
               www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

4. by Kirkwood
          (6 posts)

11 years ago

Apologies for the lengthy delay.  I was on hold per the owner's instructions.  She has finally decided to let me go ahead.  Here are some other detail shots.  The horn is here at my store so if there is a particular area of the horn you want to see let me know.  The first shot is a super closup of the main bell engraving to show its sharpness.

Reply To Post

5. by Kirkwood
          (6 posts)

11 years ago

Store contact numner 706-863-1542

Reply To Post