Saxophone Forum

by hannahkate55
(1 post)
11 years ago

Need Help buying a new saxophone, one that plays jazz well

I am a high school student, and I would like to buy a nice used tenor saxophone, preferrably one that plays jazz well. I found a 16M Bb Conn Tenor for $240, but I am not so sure it is the best option. Any advice on a great Tenor I could buy to use for a long time would help a lot.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by birdlover
    (43 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Need Help buying a new saxophone, one that plays jazz well

Since no one else is answering I'll give you my two cents. First of all, saxophones don't play jazz, people play jazz. The fact is you will sound pretty much the same no matter what brand of sax you choose. Probably the mouthpiece you use will determine your sound to a greater degree than the type of sax you have. Beyond that your sound originates with your body, the shape and size of your throat and mouth for example. Some even say your body mass as well. Also as a good friend of mine used to say, you will sound just like you practice. The important thing is that the saxophone is in good shape and has been set up properly. Even the most expensive horns can play out of tune if they have leaks. I would say you would likely have to spend four or five hundred on a good used American horn like they sell at saxquest would be your best bet if you are a beginner which it sounds like from your question. It might be wise to find a good sax teacher and let him or her help you pick out a horn if you are a complete novice. It makes little sense to teach yourself as you will devlop bad habits that will be hard to break later on, so having a good teacher will save you time and effort in the long run. Good luck in your search.

One more thing regarding finding a teacher, you can contact a local community college or university music department who will likely have a list of good private teachers in your area, and I'm sure they would be glad to send you a list. 

Reply To Post