Saxophone Forum

by yzl311
(6 posts)
11 years ago

Need information on a new purchase

Can anybody provide information on a Conn Shooting Star with a serial number 686732? This is all the information I've got. I am wondering about its history and quality. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Need information on a new purchase

Made in 1958.  The Director "shooting star" horns of that era were very good student horns made in Elkhart, Indiana.  They took a couple of steps down in quality in the middle and late 1960s, when production was moved to Nogales, Arizona and eventually Mexico.

Reply To Post

1. by yzl311
      (6 posts)

11 years ago

Thanks. Excuse me for asking, but what is the difference between the student and pro horns? Is it the structure of the instrument or additional notes?

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

11 years ago

You actually asked a very good question.  Student and pro horns from any given era have the same basic fingering and range, but the keywork and body construction tend to be more refined on the pro horns.  The differences between student and pro horns tend to become more significant as the player's technique and tonal strength develop.  But sometimes there is very little tonal difference between the student and pro models produced by the same company.  IMHO there is very little tonal difference between the student and top line horns produced by Conn in 1958.  The top line horns sound more like the student horns than the top line horns produced just a few years before.  The differences are more refined, up to date keywork and details of the neck design on the top line horn.  

Reply To Post