Saxophone Forum

by marci
(3 posts)
11 years ago

HN White King alto saxophone

Recently I won a 1925 (?) H.N. White alto sax on eBay for $200.  Original case, mouthpiece, leather neckstrap, and even vintage corkgrease and a box of used ricos (25 for $24.45)!

The price on the box of reeds may indicate the last time it was played, but somebody loved and played this horn alot. It is well cared but appropriately worn.  The mouthpiece has a huge dent from teeth, and the case covered with vintage stickers from various locations.

My question is whether the horn is worth fixing up.  It is not currently playable but basically just needs a repad and minor adjustments.  The Serial number is 106XXX. 

In the meantime, it is beautiful and interesting piece of history and I am very glad to have it. 

Thank you for your thoughts! 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

Re: HN White King alto saxophone

1928 according to the serial #.  

http://www.saxgourmet.com/VINTAGE_SAXOPHONE_VALUE_GUIDE.htm

Take heed and keep your expenditures low.  Probably worth no more than $500 in good playing condition.  You could be in for more money than the horn is worth with a full repad.  

Reply To Post

1. by marci
      (3 posts)

11 years ago

Re: HN White King alto saxophone

Thank you so much for the information and insight.  I may just check to see what would get it playable; curious about the sound although I understand pitch is problematic on these horns.

Reply To Post