Saxophone Forum

by osayamstar
(4 posts)
11 years ago

Are eavone saxophones any good?

I have a brand new eavone saxophone (alto).
I got it because of its colour! And im very interested in sax, so im not planning on giving up anytime soon. But i just seem to continuously mess up my tone. The low notes sometimes sound high, and the high notes are ALWAYS TOOOOO high. Like my normal a and b are higher than my octave d. I cant seem to find the problem. Ive changed my embrochure countless times, ive watched so many videos, but i cant seem to do it. I dont know anyone who ever had this much trouble. The first person that taught me said he mastered it in an hour. -__-
I didnt believe of course but hes very good!
i cant seem to know why i mess up continuously, so i dont know if im the problem, or my instrument is the problem. Because i saw in so many places that you should get a good brand, but i was blinded by its outside beauty. Dont know what to do :( . Please help. And any possible solutions as well ... Thanks!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Are eavone saxophones any good?

Have the horn looked at by a knowledgeable  repair tech, describe the problems you are having, and brace yourself for the worst news.  There are a lot of kandy kolored krap horns from China being sold under odd brands.

Reply To Post

1. by osayamstar
      (4 posts)

11 years ago

Ok..... Thanks alot. I will definitely get it checked.:D 

Reply To Post

2. by osayamstar
      (4 posts)

11 years ago

I took it for checking today. :D turns out there are a few minor problems... They are very small, but, at least they will bi fixed :D thanks!

Reply To Post

1. by azuka
        (4 posts)

11 years ago

Hi,

Glad that you found some small problems with the horn that will help with intonation issues.

I Just bought an Eavone alto about a week ago.  I find that the pears are cut a bit more concave than I'm used to, but I kind of like the feel of this.   ALso, if you look closely at the key touches, you can see tiny imperfections.  Not enough for me to complain about though and it certainly does not affect sound quality.    The guy selling it has been teaching sax for many years and has been a playing professional for most of that time.   He says the horn's design is based upon the Ref 54.   I don't doubt it.  He was selling it as 'used' but virtually it is new.  He had bought it for a student who ended up not taking delivery on it.   So, I ended up with a very inexpensive to buy horn.

Now, he said that the horn is not going to give you the equivalent of a Mark 6, but if you wanted a horn that can fill a room, this was it.  Well, I DO have a Mark 6 to compare it to, but no Ref. 54.    

My impressions?  I find it a little challenging to get used to, but it is not a problem.  I already own too many saxes, but I'm not going to sell this one.  It is WAY too much fun to play.  I played it at my most recent rehearsal instead of my 69 Mark 6.  Nobody seemed to notice I was playing a different horn.   BIG BIG sound.  If anything, it is easier to play loud than my Mark 6.    But for tone quality and complexity, I have to say the Mark 6 is a better horn.  And I SHOULD be able to say that.   

As far as the most sax for the money?  The Eavone wins.  I mean, really.  This horn is a quality piece as far as how it plays and sounds.  How it will hold up 4-5 years down the road is anybody's guess.  But at the price I paid, it would be cheaper to just throw it away and buy a new one.  I really have nothing to complain about.  Big sound, expressive, fun, and cheap.  

So, the short answer to your question of whether Eavone saxes are any good, the answer is 'YES!'  For the money I paid I would not even be able to replace the neck of my Mark 6.  Amazing world.  Cheap horn - big sound.  No complaints.

Reply To Post

1. by osayamstar
          (4 posts)

11 years ago

Yes! You are right. I just picked it up yesterday, and it played beautifully! The horn wasnt straight, and some pads werent completely covering holes, but its probably because it might have hit something, so he basically just straightened it out :D it plays very well now! Thanks for the wonderful advice

Reply To Post

2. by azuka
          (4 posts)

10 years ago

Hi.  I bought one of these Eavone's several months ago on ebay.  The seller was a sax instructor and had bought it on behalf of one of his students, but then the parents never paid, so he sought to get his money back.

The seller made wonderful claims about the sax, and I became curious, one of my downfalls.  The one I have has a standard lacquer and looks like any standard sax except that it has these cool dark grey mother-of-pearl finger touches and the front F key touch looks like the same set up as on a Selmer Ref 54.

The bottom line though, is the sax really was a great playing horn with great intonation and a very big voice.   It is designed or set up similarly to the Selmer Ref. 54.  The finish work on the keys is not 100% perfect, but it is pretty close, everything that needs to be perfect is perfect.

In my opinion, it is a fun sax to play and is a great value for the money.   I would not want to give you the impression though, that it is interchangeable with a Selmer Paris horn as I don't think it has a comparable complexity of tone.     I am rather spoiled and am very fond of my Mark 6.  I think the Eavone has a fair amount of edge to it, and so I suspect that you'd want to experiment with mouthpieces so you get a great sound without going 'over the edge.'

Hope this helps.  There are a lot of cheap, poorly made saxes that I would avoid.  But this does not apply to the Eavone.

Reply To Post