Saxophone Forum

by yzl311
(6 posts)
11 years ago

Important question on a Conn

Hi, I am going to see a Conn that is for sale. I asked for the serial number and the seller hesitated. He said it is worn out and hard to read but when I insisted he said it is either 185XXX or 195XXX (he gave me the rest of the numbers). He said it is probably manufactrued between 1935-1945. Can anyone provide some more information? Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Important question on a Conn

Those would be 1927 serial numbers.  Conn was producing the New Wonder II "Chu Berry" horns during that period.  That was the model Lester Young used in the Basie orchestra.  

That situation looks sketchy because serial numbers don't just wear off.  It is quite common for horns to be overbuffed when they are relacquered, which might be why part of the serial number is missing.  Overbuffing can also damage posts and toneholes, which causes real problems.  That's a horn that should be checked out thoroughly by someone knowledgeable to see if it has been damaged.  

Reply To Post

1. by yzl311
      (6 posts)

11 years ago

Thanks. I looked as serial numbers online. Is it possible that this is a DJH modified from the 80's?

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

11 years ago

That would also fit.  If you can get a visual it should be pretty obvious which one it is.  The Chu has old style split bell keys with wire guards.  The DJH Modified was made by Keilwerth and has modern mechanisms.  They're good horns too.  Whichever one you would prefer is a personal decision.

Reply To Post