Saxophone Forum

by sasax36
(8 posts)
11 years ago

Synthetic for Marching Band

I am Sophmore in Highschool and i usually play on a synthetic fibereed size 3.5. I have been playing with this reed for about a year, I play it in parades and in marching band practice. So recently my band director noticed I was playing on a synthetic reed (since the reed is black and white) he then took it away and wont give it back because he says it makes me sound bad! I was very upset and i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with synthetic reeds so i can explain to my band director that they are not bad. Oh and i also play on a synthetic forestone 3.5 and i tried out for my all region band and i made just pointing that out :)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Maestro.58
    (9 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Synthetic for Marching Band

First, file a police report for the theft of your reed
    Second, get a Fiberreed Classic - it sounds warmer (more like a natural reed).
    Forestone is too rubbery and sounds like it, but you can fool the teacher into thinking its a cane reed,because it looks natural.
    Third, focused PRACTICE ALOT!!! 

Robert E. Schuenemann

Reply To Post AIM

2. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

11 years ago

Use cane reeds. Plastic reeds are bad....!!

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by sasax36
      (8 posts)

11 years ago

Not all plastic reeds are bad and the ones i play on are not plastic one is carbon fiber and the other one well im not sure what it is but its a forestone reed.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

11 years ago

All Plastic reeds are bad...use cane!!

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by GFC
      (842 posts)

11 years ago

First of all, your director is a complete jackass for taking away your reed.  It is your property and he has no right to take it away from you.  Was he complaining about your sound before he saw your reed?

Is your sound on a Forestone like the sound you get from a cane reed?  Play some A/B tests on good quality cane reeds of similar strength and get some honest opinions.  If it looks and plays like a cane reed, problem solved.  And by all means let us know the results.  I'm a cane reed guy, but if the Forestone truly matches the characteristics of a cane reed the way the company claims, I might prefer one over the hassles of using cane reeds.

Reply To Post

1. by sasax36
        (8 posts)

11 years ago

No he was not complaining until he noticed that i was using a sythetic and yes I do really think and feel that the forestone is as good or even better then most cane reeds i have used which include Vandoren original,Vandoren V12, Vandoren V16, Vandoren Jazz, and well i guess it would be the rico traditional reeds. But i dont understand what the problem can be since for my al region try outs my band director was one of my judges and he gave me a really high rating that i was not expecting! Today while i was trying to find a good cane reed i opened up 4 Vandoren reeds and none of them worked! I looked at the heart and it was no good and that is what im tired of, im tored of going thru reed after reed wasting them because they are no good or they chip or crack or no longer give a good vibration! If you have any tips for cane reeds and how to get the most out of them PLEASE SHARE!!!

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
          (842 posts)

11 years ago

These articles helped me out a lot.  Good reed prep is everything.  It will help more than paying the premium for Vandorens.

http://www.dornpub.com/SaxjPDF/reed1.pdf

http://www.dornpub.com/SaxjPDF/reed2.pdf 

Reply To Post

1. by sasax36
            (8 posts)

11 years ago

What book is this from? Is it from the Saxophone journal? Thats what it says but im not sure if its the name. Oh and thank you for the link it really helped alot, i'm going to use these right away!

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
            (930 posts)

11 years ago

I have been a professional sax player for 50 years. I was a USN Musician. Studied Jazz at Berklee in Boston. Studied privately with Joe Viola.  I'm a North Texas Grad and majored in saxophone. I've taught music on a college level as well as have been a High School Band Director. I'm telling you about myself because you don't seem to understand what I've said? I've tried every plastic reed on the market including those mentioned. Use cane reeds, forget the plastic reeds....~)

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by sasax36
            (8 posts)

11 years ago

Hmmmmm you're pretty convincing but ummm when was the last time you played on a synthetic

Reply To Post

4. by kelsey
            (930 posts)

11 years ago

I can see now why your band director took away your plastic reed. And you think you sound so great that you don't need to listen to advice from more experienced musicians....go on then young man on the road you are on. Sorry for trying to help you.....~)

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

5. by sasax36
            (8 posts)

11 years ago

Im sorry I'm just really stubborn when it comes to things like this because I've read alot about synthetics and cane reeds and I trust most of what i have read because well it makes sense! And sorry if i disrespected you i didn't mean to. :(

Reply To Post

6. by sasax36
            (8 posts)

11 years ago

Or maybe synthetics just don't work for you but i sound pretty amazing with them :D

Reply To Post

7. by GFC
            (842 posts)

11 years ago

You impudent young man!  But I guess I'm contributing to that  :D

Welcome to the world of music politics. 

Reply To Post

8. by sasax36
            (8 posts)

11 years ago