Saxophone Forum

by Nick.Williams
(1 post)
11 years ago

Is There Something Wrong With My Sax? Only Squeaks?

I loved the sound of the saxophone so I wanted to learn to play. So probably my first mistake was I bought it off Amazon I bought a Mendini by Cecilio Alto Sax. I thought it would be ok for a total noob. So after assembling the sax i tried to play a few notes but all I got was a shrill squeak. After this I tried to make a sound with just the mouthpeice and crook it was the same shrill squeak. So any ideas what this could be? I'm pretty sure my assembly and my embouchere is correct so i'm lost. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxgourmet
    (127 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Is There Something Wrong With My Sax? Only Squeaks?

since you are new to the saxophone, have an experienced player try your horn

STEVE GOODSON
    New Orleans
    www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

11 years ago

I agree with Steve. After teaching sax for many years I don't remember many who didn't squeak in the beginning. As Steve suggested have an experienced player try your horn. It could be the horn? If you are trying to teach yourself you are up against it from the word go anyway. Get a teacher!

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by laces
    (1 post)

11 years ago

Hi Nick, sorry you find yourself in this predicament, but I appreciate that you want to play sax!  It may be that you are trying to blow too hard.  Make sure that you have the sax lined up properly, and that all the keys are functional.  If you take the sax to a musical instrument store (usually these are huge places that sell everything, instruments, sheet music, keyboards, drums, etc.) ask a salesperson if there is someone on site who repairs woodwinds.  Often there will be someone tucked away in the back of the store who does nothing but check and repair instruments.  That person will be able to tell you if there is any hope.  Don't give up.  If this one doesn't work - you can find one that does.  I wish you all the best.  When I was starting out, I rented an instrument for a month to see if I liked it enough to buy one. We all start out squeaking and honking,

Reply To Post