Saxophone Forum

by kefinmo
(3 posts)
11 years ago

Vintage York

Hello Everyone,

I recently dug out of the closet my old YORK Eflat Alto Saxophone that I played for 9 years as a kid.  It is in need of a good cleaning and probably some pad replacements and a new laquer job.

My question for all that might be interested.  It has a serial number on it of 5017.  Anyone know how I can determine how old it is?  It was purchased in 1961-62 timeframe from a private party and was in pretty good shape then.  I played it almost everyday for 9 years and am interested in either restoring it or selling but have no idea on either.

Thanks for any responses.       

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Vintage York

http://www.horn-u-copia.net/serial/Yorklist.html

http://www.horn-u-copia.net/Docs/York%20db.html

That's a place to get started on your detective work.  The oddball serial number suggests a postwar horn.  Your best clue as to the age might be the style in which "York" is engraved.  I'm not aware of any postwar Yorks being particularly valuable horns.  Relacquering a horn is very expensive to do right and has little to no benefit.   Good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by kefinmo
      (3 posts)

11 years ago

Thanks for your reply to my post.  Here is a photo of the YORK and the serial number.  Located on the lower back and on the back of the keys in the middle of the sax.

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

11 years ago

Ah HA!  You've got the vertical lettering, which according to the main serial # chart shows up in examples from the late '40s.  The art deco engraving seems to fit in with that era too.

The square cross-section cage rods are a giveaway that your horn was produced by Malerne (Paris) and stencilled by York.  

http://bassic-sax.info/4images/details.php?image_id=10299

Your pictures are also suggestive that the spatula keys are Malerne type keys.  You can peruse the Malerne photo gallery on saxpics.com and compare them with yours.  The vertical serial number also seems to be a Malerne feature.

Malerne is known as a manufacturer student grade horns. Keep in mind that your horn probably doesn't have a whole lot of market value if you are thinking of reconditioning it to sell.

Reply To Post

1. by kefinmo
          (3 posts)

11 years ago

Thanks for the detailed info on my sax.  I was thinking of selling and was wondering if reconditioning would help.  I know my pics don't show the entire sax, but any ideas of the range the market value of this type?

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
          (842 posts)

11 years ago

Best guesstimate for a student horn from a manufacturer without a great reputation would be a few hundred at most.  If it can't be put into good playing, mechanically sound condition for less than a few hundred you'd be underwater on its value.  If your horn doesn't need any straightening or correction of mechanical wear, a simple reconditioning with selected replacement of pads, corks, and felts could be a good option.  Have it inspected by a tech who understands and respects your constraints.

Reply To Post