Saxophone Forum

by ticktocksax73
(2 posts)
10 years ago

Which Sax?

I am an eighth grade flute player, but have decided to pick up the alto or tenor sax for jazz band in high school. Which type of sax would be the best option for non-sax players with a monumental musical background, i.e. tenor or alto? Or is it just personal preference? I have also been looking for good student level saxophones and have so far come across the Yamaha 26 and the Selmer S500 Aristocrat. Are these good saxes? Are there better ones out there? And I am not a reed player, so if I would also very much appreciate advice on reeds, e.g. what strengths to use, brands, etc. Thanks, that would all be very conveinent! 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Which Sax?

Its really more of a personal choice. Some young beginners start on alto because its smaller and weighs less. However, since you're in 8th grade the size of the instrument shouldn't be an issue for you. Both alto and tenor are equally easy to play in terms of tone production and air stream.

The most important thing is to make sure the saxophone you start on is set up and regulated properly so you're not fighting the instrument (have it looked at by a qualified local shop). Also, be sure to get some good instruction from the beginning (take a couple lessons from a saxophone player). Its much more difficult to bad habits after learning incorrectly than it is to just learn it correctly from the beginning. 

As for what instrument to buy, there have been a few good threads on this site recently talking about this topic. Check out the link here:

http://www.saxophone.org/forum/thread/id/22389

Best of Luck and welcome to the saxophone world!!

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by ticktocksax73
      (2 posts)

10 years ago

Thanks for the input on saxophones, although I'm still not sure which saxophone I'll choose. (I'll wait until I get the chance to test a tenor for an even comparision) I also happen to know an exceptionally good saxophonist who is willing to teach me privately. The threads you showed me lead me to the Yamaha 23 (apparently one of the best student level saxophones every built), and the Kessler Custom Performance Series Alto Sax (apparently that's a student model). Now I'm well aquainted with Yamaha via flutes, and if they make saxes like they make flutes, then the Yamaha 23 is sure to be good. But I've never heard of Kessler, so I'm wondering, are they any good?

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

10 years ago

Kessler is a very reputable dealer that sells Asian horns made to their specifications and quality standards.  As a direct importer/seller they can offer good prices without distributor and dealer markups.  The Yamaha 23 is also an excellent student horn, but not price-competitive with Kessler or some other good Asian horns sold under house brands.  A used Yamaha 23 in good condition can go for less than one of the better Asian horns new.  

If you're considering unfamiliar brands of horns, consider only the ones associated with serious dealers - ones that you know offer products and services geared towards serious players.   That leaves out the sellers of no-name horns who rely on Amazon, eBay, or spamming forums such as this one to sell horns.

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
          (420 posts)

10 years ago

Great point! I will try to remove spam posts such as you mention when I see them.

Thanks,
               Mark Overton
               www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post